Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

recommendations

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by cubuffs, Sep 16, 2001.

1. cubuffs

cubuffs New Member

I was wondering if it makes a difference if the term medical school is used instead of osteopathic school in my recommendations. Last year I applied to an allopathic school. That didn't work out, and I realized that the whole philosophy of osteopathy reflects my whole perspective on medicine. Anyways, I have my recommendations from last year, but I'm definite the term medical school is used. I don't know if it'll make a difference since osteopathic school is a medical school. If I use those recommendations, will that be held against me?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vince

Vince Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    cubuffs - I don't think its necessarily a bad thing that the term "medical school" is used in your letters of recommendation. However, I would be hesitant to send them because they are old. If the admissions committe looks at them and sees they are dated last year, that would raise some questions in my opinion. Also, it is good to inform the admissions committees about your recent accomplishments and if someone who wrote you a letter of recommendation has knowledge of another accomplishment since your last application process, it would be good to get a new letter anyways.

Also, most osteopathic schools require, or at least STRONGLY recommend, a letter from a DO, and if your previous letters don't include an osteopathic physician, you should get a letter from one. I believed strongly in the philosophy of osteopathy after I learned about it and it did match my own opinions on medicine as well. My letters of recommendation were from an employer(of 8yrs), my primary care physician(who is an M.D., but is also the medical director for the fire dept./ambulance service I worked for), and a D.O. that I shadowed at his family practice clinic. These seemed to work for me. If you have any other questions, let me know, and Good Luck.

KMyers
    MS-I, WesternU/COMP