Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. This board has grown enough in size to seperate Rotations from Residencies. I for one, would like to see a Residency specific forum.

2. Not every post needs to be neatly tucked away in a specific forum. For example, the rampant thread relocation that takes place here is getting a bit overzealous. When I post here, even if it's a bit off topic, I'm addressing a specific audience. There needs to be a little bit more license in this regard.

Members don't see this ad.

While I understand that the moving of threads can be confusing and even frustrating to some, without doing so things quickly become chaotic. Many, if not most users of SDN read many, if not most, of the forums. Medical students and residents are not just reading this forum. All threads that are moved are signified so with a post and a notice with link at the top of the page. This should suffice in telling people they have been moved to.

Unfortunately you seem a bit peeved about the way things are run here at SDN. I am open to suggestions but if I see fit to move a thread to the forum in which it should have been posted in the first place (or where it becomes relevant if the thread should take a turn of topic) then I will continue to do so. Please review the SDN User policy on this topic and feel free to contact and/or any of the other Moderators if you have complaints about our actions.

I agree with Kleb's second point.

Sometimes I need to know the opinions of only the seniors in some matters - like I have this ethical issue I want to discuss - but posting it in the Lounge invites the comments of all the people including pre-meds, and since it is very difficult to distinguish pre-meds from med students from residents in the Lounge, it becomes very difficult to decide which opinions to value and which to ignore.

I could also say that residents would be more civilized than pre-meds in responding to ethical dilemmas, but I guess you won't believe me after all that has recently happened here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimberli,

I am not peaved in the least :) . I have made some constructive criticism that I believe will benefit your site and those who use it.

I was hoping the recent parade of stupidity might highlight why some changes are prudent.

Please remember there is more than one reason to address a community of physicians, even if the topic isn't strictly in line with the board theme. I believe the above poster highlighted this quite well.

Don't take my comments personally. I believe this site might benefit by applying a bit more thought into how moderation should take place.

TOS should never be written in stone, otherwise the community is plagued with outmoded policy. They should be malleable, especially when clarification is needed.

My comments are mere food for thought. Whadaya think? :rolleyes:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Klebsiella:
•Kimberli,

I am not peaved in the least :) . I have made some constructive criticism that I believe will benefit your site and those who use it.

I was hoping the recent parade of stupidity might highlight why some changes are prudent.

Please remember there is more than one reason to address a community of physicians, even if the topic isn't strictly in line with the board theme. I believe the above poster highlighted this quite well.

Don't take my comments personally. I believe this site might benefit by applying a bit more thought into how moderation should take place.

TOS should never be written in stone, otherwise the community is plagued with outmoded policy. They should be malleable, especially when clarification is needed.

My comments are mere food for thought. Whadaya think? :rolleyes: •••••Don't worry - I didn't take your comments as criticism or as a personal affront.

And you're right - TOS shouldn't be written in stone and they aren't. However, we've erred on the same of being TOO lenient with it in the past and are trying to veer a bit in the other.

I'll agree to take a step back from moving posts which seem to address a particular group but with the right to revert to moving them if the forums become Lounge # 2, 3 etc.

Thank you for your comments.

I don't usually do this, but I do agree with Kleb on this issue. I think there is a need for a residency specific forum. I'll see what I can work-out.

Just to put in my two cents...

I disagree that administrators should be less vigilent about relocating posts. In general, I have been appreciative when threads are moved to other forums if the focus moves away from "rotations and residencies". I visit SDN and only read the posts on this forum because I am not interested in other discussions about other topics. Frankly, I couldn't care less about david green, western blots or which college is best for those interested in applying to medical school.

I also don't feel that a separate forum should be made for residents. Many of the threads I have seen have benefitted from discussion between residents and students doing clerkships. I think that a lot would be lost if these two groups had separate forums. Also, I think most residents would prefer specialty specific forums, and I don't think that would be practical on this site. Other websites (ie auntminnie for radiology) already provide residency specific forums that have a specific specialty focus.

I would also encourage the administrators to not take the opinion of certain frequent posters as the general consensus. I would be willing to bet that there are many people out there who are like me and don't post every day, but still appreciate the function that this board serves and like it the way it is.