1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended books about medicine

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by void, May 3, 2007.

1. void

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm nearly a Sophomore pre-med student at NYU, and I was just wondering if there are any good books to read so I can not be so ignorant about medicine.

Here are some books that I have in my head that I hope exist, please tell me about them if they do! :

a medicine for dummies book that offers everyday facts about how to heal a minor pain, ache, or injury. Have a joint pain? Pour some cayenne pepper on it because it's a counter irritant. Have a cut? some aloe vera. etc.

a book that's about some kind of controversial healthcare topic. I'm currently reading Sexual Ecology [a book about AIDS], and I hope to get Medical Apartheid. But just anything about important healthcare issues that I should read up on.

A book on medical trivia or things I can memorize or study while in the subway or something.

A pocket guide to medicine.

A good magazine or website with articles that I can read to stay up to date on medical news. Preferably not a medical journal, though. I need something I can understand.

I just basically want a way for myself to spark and foster a genuine interest in medicine and everything along with it, in addition to the boatload of science courses and volunteering/interning I am/will be doing.

Plus it's cool to know medical stuff on a whim.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zenman

zenman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Suburban Shaman: Tales From Medicine's Frontline by Cecil Helman, M.D.

Every book by Lewis Mehl-Madrona, M.D., Ph.D.

The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing and the Human Condition by Arthur Kleinman, M.D.

Medicine and Compassion: A Tibetan Lama's Guidance for Caregivers by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche

The Lost Art of Healing by Bernard Lowen, M.D.

That should get you started and give you a break from the hard core sciences.