Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Recommended books about medicine

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by void, May 3, 2007.

1. void

Pre-Medical
    I'm nearly a Sophomore pre-med student at NYU, and I was just wondering if there are any good books to read so I can not be so ignorant about medicine.

Here are some books that I have in my head that I hope exist, please tell me about them if they do! :

a medicine for dummies book that offers everyday facts about how to heal a minor pain, ache, or injury. Have a joint pain? Pour some cayenne pepper on it because it's a counter irritant. Have a cut? some aloe vera. etc.

a book that's about some kind of controversial healthcare topic. I'm currently reading Sexual Ecology [a book about AIDS], and I hope to get Medical Apartheid. But just anything about important healthcare issues that I should read up on.

A book on medical trivia or things I can memorize or study while in the subway or something.

A pocket guide to medicine.

A good magazine or website with articles that I can read to stay up to date on medical news. Preferably not a medical journal, though. I need something I can understand.

I just basically want a way for myself to spark and foster a genuine interest in medicine and everything along with it, in addition to the boatload of science courses and volunteering/interning I am/will be doing.

Plus it's cool to know medical stuff on a whim.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. zenman

zenman Senior Member

Suburban Shaman: Tales From Medicine's Frontline by Cecil Helman, M.D.

Every book by Lewis Mehl-Madrona, M.D., Ph.D.

The Illness Narratives: Suffering, Healing and the Human Condition by Arthur Kleinman, M.D.

Medicine and Compassion: A Tibetan Lama's Guidance for Caregivers by Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche

The Lost Art of Healing by Bernard Lowen, M.D.

That should get you started and give you a break from the hard core sciences.