Recommended books for becoming a good doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownhamster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any books that may give new insight or perspective on becoming a doctor? The book doesn't have to have been written specifically for pre med students, but I'm looking for a book that touches upon the questions of what is most important for being a good doctor and why along with other questions that might be pertinent. Also, maybe some books that have to do with the ethics that may be involved in treating patients would be nice.
As it's getting closer to time to turn in my applications and write my personal statement, I'd like to research different view points on these questions.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

you can also learn alot by just reading up on SDN stickied thread and other thread and keeping an open mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Atul Gawande's books deal with medical ethics, to a certain extent. The two that I know of are Better and Complications.

There's also a very good book called Angels in the ER by Dr. Robert Leslie, but that book is more story oriented.

You could also read House of God by Samuel Shem, but that is more of a realistic-fiction book than something that would apply strongly to the practice of medicine today.

The Kama Sutra.

Because a happy doctor is a good doctor.

The spirit catches you and you fall down -Anne Fadiman

Yale students were reading this when I interviewed this and she went to speak to them too. Good book about western medicine its clashes with different cultures.

The spirit catches you and you fall down -Anne Fadiman

Yale students were reading this when I interviewed this and she went to speak to them too. Good book about western medicine its clashes with different cultures.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

It's an interesting story, but it's not a good book. She writes a great ethnography about the Hmong, but her depiction of the medical case of the girl's seizures left A LOT to be desired.

to answer the OPs question: No book is going to make you a good doctor.

back when I was still interviewing applicants, the only question I required myself to ask every time was about what books the applicant had read recently. That alone told me a whole lot about the applicant. I only had a half hour to work with and a canned answer to "why medicine" sounds the same as a sincere one so it was important to focus on other things. If a student couldn't tell me of any books, it was a MAJOR red flag... if they told me only medically related books, then that was no better. Any med student who can't keep outside interests and outside intellectual pursuits is going to experience serious burnout when they hit the intensity of second year or the frustration of 3rd year. Reading something that is actually interesting is going to get you a lot farther than anything about "being a doctor."

to answer the OPs question: No book is going to make you a good doctor.

back when I was still interviewing applicants, the only question I required myself to ask every time was about what books the applicant had read recently. That alone told me a whole lot about the applicant. I only had a half hour to work with and a canned answer to "why medicine" sounds the same as a sincere one so it was important to focus on other things. If a student couldn't tell me of any books, it was a MAJOR red flag... if they told me only medically related books, then that was no better. Any med student who can't keep outside interests and outside intellectual pursuits is going to experience serious burnout when they hit the intensity of second year or the frustration of 3rd year. Reading something that is actually interesting is going to get you a lot farther than anything about "being a doctor."

So, basically your requirement for someone to be a good doctor is that they have the same outside interests as you? Why wouldn't you just ask them what do they do outside of school, why does it have to be reading a book? You say no book makes you a good doctor, yet then you go on in your post to say that it is a MAJOR red flag if applicants don't read books or if they read medically related books...so, apparently reading non-medically related books makes someone a better doctor in your eyes.

Also, I don't understand what's wrong with reading books about medicine. I guess you would criticize me for watching House and Scrubs. Do you think it would be better for me to spend my time watching Family Guy to avoid burn out?

If you haven't already read every book ever written on the subject of medicine, it's too late. You'll make a terrible doctor.

/sarcasm

Looking at my bookshelf this morning turned my thoughts to books that pre-meds might find interesting & thought provoking. These are oldies that you may find at your local library and they are also available [through] online [booksellers] - often at a discount!

Forgive and Remember Managing Medical Failure by Charles L. Bosk. It is an oldie but very good, a sociologist's field report of a year (or so) following surgical teams. Very readable.

The Lazarus Case Life and Death Issues in Neonatal Intensive Care by John D. Lantos, MD.

Letters to a Young Doctor by Richard Selzer , MD (his other books of essays & short stories are good, too)

Make a few notes about what you read (in these books or others) and you'll have something to bring up at interview.

That said, I do agree that going beyond "medically-related" books is beneficial to you as a person.

Here are some books that I've found to be good reads:

The Coast of Chicago by Stuart Dybek (short stories)

The Death of Vishnu: A Novel by Manil Suri (set in India)

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (short stories)

Bel Canto: A Novel by Ann Patchett (hostages including an opera singer)

Knife Man by Wendy Moore (about John Hunter, 18th century British surgeon-scientist)

City of Refuge by Tom Piazza (New Orleans before & after Katrina)

Blindness by Jose Saramago (novel, alternate reality, breakdown of society)

Last edited:
Few of my favorites...

The Price of Privilege: How Parental Pressure and Material Advantage Are Creating a Generation of Disconnected and Unhappy Kids by Madeline Levine (must read for a bunch of people who are going to make a decent living, and will most likely be parents)

The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life by Armand M. Nicholi Jr. (Really interesting to me how people with different worldviews answer some of the big life questions)

How the News Makes Us Dumb: The Death of Wisdom in an Information Society by C. John Sommerville (short book, pretty entertaining, will make you feel totally justified in paying little attention to the news, and if you must pay attention to the news, it will help you actually consume the news with some discernment)

Members don't see this ad :)
How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman

both of the Gawande books already mentioned.

Not saying I like these books, but they do address the question of how doctors can improve.

So, basically your requirement for someone to be a good doctor is that they have the same outside interests as you? Why wouldn't you just ask them what do they do outside of school, why does it have to be reading a book? You say no book makes you a good doctor, yet then you go on in your post to say that it is a MAJOR red flag if applicants don't read books or if they read medically related books...so, apparently reading non-medically related books makes someone a better doctor in your eyes.

Also, I don't understand what's wrong with reading books about medicine. I guess you would criticize me for watching House and Scrubs. Do you think it would be better for me to spend my time watching Family Guy to avoid burn out?

not the same interests as me... but outside interests, period. Thankfully I never had anyone who couldn't answer the question to my satisfaction, but one of my friends asked what a student did for fun... her response was "read science journals." She was rejected outright.

...and my point for the OP was this. You're going to be buried up to your ass in medicine in a couple years. Don't be wasting your time drowning yourself in medicine now. Keep your interests and your reading diverse.

...and watching House won't show that you're a bad doctor, but it will show you have poor taste in TV :)

I'll also second the Gawande books, and throw in another book (a novel, actually) by a physician-writer, Abraham Verghese, called Cutting for Stone. It gives a nice perspective on medicine practiced in other cultures (particularly, Ethiopia) and has a lot of fantastic little tid-bits of wisdom for life and/or medicine.

Atul Gawande's books deal with medical ethics, to a certain extent. The two that I know of are Better and Complications.

There's also a very good book called Angels in the ER by Dr. Robert Leslie, but that book is more story oriented.

You could also read House of God by Samuel Shem, but that is more of a realistic-fiction book than something that would apply strongly to the practice of medicine today.

Gawande has another book, The Checklist Manifesto, which I thought was pretty intriguing. It's basically about the installment of simple checklists in the OR, ER, ICU to minimize deaths and complications in an age of immense and complex medical knowledge, where simple things can be easily overlooked or ignored. Easy 1 to 2-day read.

many professors at my school have suggested The Citadel by AJ Cronin
I haven't had the chance to read it yet, so I don't have a personal opinion...

Antoine de Saint Exupery - The Little Prince
Octavio Paz - The Labyrinth of Solitude
William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch

Everybody Poops by Taro Gomi.

It's fricken deep; it gets down to the heart of humanity proclaiming that everyone is the same no matter what race or sex they are. It investigates the commonality of man and imparts upon you an appreciation for how people can be so diverse, yet so similar. It also teaches a valuable lesson to future healthcare practitioners: everybody poops - be glad you're a doctor and don't have to clean it up.

Pauline Chen's Final Exam is good, albeit depressing - it's about the surgeon's perspective of death & dying. A short read, but a serious reality check.

When the Air Hits Your Brain by Frank Vertosick is a good memoir -- solid writing, cool case studies.

The Uncertain Art by Sherwin Nuland is about as "doctor's memoir" as it gets -- I'm reading it now; it's thick, but interesting.

There's A Case of Need by Michael Crichton -- about an abortion doctor accused of murder. Nothing too clinical, just fun, a quick read, and still relevant after 35+ years.

And while I'm at it, The Terminal Man was a hoot, too. Nothing substantial there though o_O

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk.

I would say this is the best book I have ever read. Absolutely entertaining and entirely artistic. People get to worked up as a premed, you need to enjoy what little time is left...

I can say this because I went to my college library and did exactly what you are doing and got nothing out of it.

hahaha, thanks for all the recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out. Also, i agree with all the posts that say a book isn't going to make a good doctor or that too much pre medical readings will kill you. I just wanted a new perspective on some of the common questions asked during interviews, applications, and especially just for myself in general. I wouldn't say that I would be reading these books for the sole purpose of giving the correct answer during an interview or even for the reason of wanting to be a good doctor.

Does anyone know of any books that may give new insight or perspective on becoming a doctor? The book doesn't have to have been written specifically for pre med students, but I'm looking for a book that touches upon the questions of what is most important for being a good doctor and why along with other questions that might be pertinent. Also, maybe some books that have to do with the ethics that may be involved in treating patients would be nice.
As it's getting closer to time to turn in my applications and write my personal statement, I'd like to research different view points on these questions.
Thanks in advance.

Old thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=752061

n30992.jpg

also

arnold-encyclopedia-modern-bodybuilding-233x300.jpg

being in shape and having aesthetics as a doctor will make you more credible to patients, as clearly you practice what you preach about physical health (srs). How many times have you been to a doctor who's just totally out of shape and been like WTF?

also

arnold-encyclopedia-modern-bodybuilding-233x300.jpg

being in shape and having aesthetics as a doctor will make you more credible to patients, as clearly you practice what you preach about physical health (srs). How many times have you been to a doctor who's just totally out of shape and been like WTF?

I've actually never seen a fat doctor. Slightly overweight, yeah, but that comes with old age. Chiropractors on the other hand..

When I read this post I started making another one of my comprehensive lists. Took me a little longer than expected and the thread got buried. But dang it, I put work and research into this! So I am going to share it anyway:

http://www.squidoo.com/best-books-about-medicine

I've read a few of those already and that's a great list. I'll try and start on some of the others. Thanks!!

Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue, by Danielle Ofri is an amazing book.

Recommended books to becoming a good doctor?
I didn't know you could become a good one just by reading book on how to become a good doctor...maybe try "How to become the best doctor in 30 days!"
or you can try "Nicomachean Ethics"

Last edited:
One of the things I distinctly remember on this topic was when a doctor came in and said that you can't become a good doctor by just reading a book. You have to actually experience it and no amount of reading can make up for experience. I thought that was an interesting concept and oddly true. But I guess premeds need something to do too so books it is.

One of the things I distinctly remember on this topic was when a doctor came in and said that you can't become a good doctor by just reading a book. You have to actually experience it and no amount of reading can make up for experience. I thought that was an interesting concept and oddly true. But I guess premeds need something to do too so books it is.

I think rather than titling the thread "Recommended books for becoming a good doctor", it should be titled "Recommended books for those thinking of becoming doctors."

The title of this thread did make me laugh.

Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue, by Danielle Ofri is an amazing book.

I have yet to read this book but Danielle Ofri is awesome. Saw her give a great talk to promote her more recent book (Medicine in Translation). Thanks for the reminder for my summer reading list.

I think rather than titling the thread "Recommended books for becoming a good doctor", it should be titled "Recommended books for those thinking of becoming doctors."

The title of this thread did make me laugh.

Agreed. It's about "books for those interested in reading about medicine" not "books that are going to magically turn someone into a good dr."

blue collar blue scrubs and hot lights cold steel both by michael collins. hes a doctor who worked construction after college, had no idea what to do with his life, then decided to become a doctor and basically went the post bacc rout. these are the stories of his journey, first through post bacc and med school, then as an ortho surgeon. i thought they were very good, true accounts of the struggle and whatnot. also similar to my life, so that made it more enjoyable as well.

Well, for a med book that hasn't yet been recommended: The Real Life of an Internist. It's a collection of short stories by various docs, touching on a lot of painful ethical stuff and things to expect when interacting with some patients, pt families, and nurses. BTW, I'm currently halfway through the book and, though not interested in internal med, loving it.

Others: I've been on a Gladwell kick lately... They're quick, interesting reads.

blue collar blue scrubs and hot lights cold steel both by michael collins. hes a doctor who worked construction after college, had no idea what to do with his life, then decided to become a doctor and basically went the post bacc rout. these are the stories of his journey, first through post bacc and med school, then as an ortho surgeon. i thought they were very good, true accounts of the struggle and whatnot. also similar to my life, so that made it more enjoyable as well.

same. related perfectly for me since i'm also a non-trad. 2 of the best 2 books i've read regarding non-trad to medicine

Well, for a med book that hasn't yet been recommended: The Real Life of an Internist. It's a collection of short stories by various docs, touching on a lot of painful ethical stuff and things to expect when interacting with some patients, pt families, and nurses. BTW, I'm currently halfway through the book and, though not interested in internal med, loving it.

Others: I've been on a Gladwell kick lately... They're quick, interesting reads.

despite my cynicism in this thead, I do enjoy Gladwell as long as you don't take anything he says too seriously. IIRC the admissions director at Case gave a big speech about Tipping Point when I was there for my MS interview.

Pauline Chen's Final Exam is good, albeit depressing - it's about the surgeon's perspective of death & dying. A short read, but a serious reality check.

When the Air Hits Your Brain by Frank Vertosick is a good memoir -- solid writing, cool case studies.

The Uncertain Art by Sherwin Nuland is about as "doctor's memoir" as it gets -- I'm reading it now; it's thick, but interesting.

There's A Case of Need by Michael Crichton -- about an abortion doctor accused of murder. Nothing too clinical, just fun, a quick read, and still relevant after 35+ years.

And while I'm at it, The Terminal Man was a hoot, too. Nothing substantial there though o_O

I really liked both of those Crichton books. Its just fun mind candy, but such fast reads that you can't say no. I also like it when he says " we have no idea why this occurs, but..." and now we have the answer!

despite my cynicism in this thead, I do enjoy Gladwell as long as you don't take anything he says too seriously. IIRC the admissions director at Case gave a big speech about Tipping Point when I was there for my MS interview.
He's a very talented writer, but he has a tendency to make very bold claims on a few examples, and often does it in fields in which he doesn't really have a strong understanding.
Overall, I'd recommend him.

He's a very talented writer, but he has a tendency to make very bold claims on a few examples, and often does it in fields in which he doesn't really have a strong understanding.
Overall, I'd recommend him.

he's also very good at stating the obvious and making you believe he has an original point.

Gladwell: If you actually look at the data, you'll find that most grass is indeed green

Reader: Oh wow! :idea: I'd never thought of it that way!

/I did have an interesting discussion with a surgeon about the Korean Air chapter. The surgeon had read the book and brought up how fascinating it was that the cultural changes led to improved outcomes.

me: so would you consider using first names only here in the OR then?
surgeon: oh hell no.

I recommend House of God as the first required reading for most premeds and med students. It's the classic, but is over 30 years old.
A Taste of My Own Medicine is the book that the movie The Doctor was based on. That is good.
I recently read Audrey Young's What Patients Taught me. Interesting, especially the rural medicine parts.
My favorite is brand new: In Stitches. It's by Dr. Tony Youn and is hilarious and touching. Made me laugh and cry. You will not regret reading this one.

Has anyone mentioned Paul Farmer of "Mountains Beyond Mountains" yet?

Has anyone mentioned Paul Farmer of "Mountains Beyond Mountains" yet?

Not yet, but an awesome option.

Gifted Hands: the Ben Carson story is also amazing. A lot is pretty familiar for me so that helps, too.

I also read White Coat, about going through med school at Harvard in early 90s. Interesting read, but take with a grain of salt for sure.

Yay to this list! Now if only I could find an American library in rural Benin...:laugh:

I read a small book that I found really good.

It's called My First Year as a Doctor.

Short stories of Doctor's in their first year of practice and some of the non-clinical things they have to deal with. I like it because it is real and not sensationalized.

It's by Melissa Ramsden and it is out of print and you can only buy it used. But it's only like one cent plus shipping.

Also read the books Overdiagnosed and Overtreated.