Recommended books for USMLE Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptionMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my second year of med school and wanted to find out from your experiences helpful books you used to prepare for step 1. So far I have first aid and BRS physiology. I am also thinking about getting the goljan Rapid Review for pathology. I heard also there is some world question bank thing but I don't know what its called. If you guys know what it is, can you give me the website.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used pretty much those three books and I did very well. Our school has a contract with Kaplan, so I had that qbank, which I did most of, and I also purchased USMLE World and did 3/4 of that. I didn't use anything until I studied for shelf exams at the end of the year. Your mileage may vary.

I'm getting ready to start my second year of med school and wanted to find out from your experiences helpful books you used to prepare for step 1. So far I have first aid and BRS physiology. I am also thinking about getting the goljan Rapid Review for pathology. I heard also there is some world question bank thing but I don't know what its called. If you guys know what it is, can you give me the website.

Thanks!

USMLE World - http://www.usmleworld.com/

most people seem to agree on the books you've listed as being sufficient!
:)

I tried to put down my best USMLE tips on the squido lens I created about the topic. To read the full thing go here: http://www.squidoo.com/ace-usmle-step-1

I still add things as remember them.

USMLE World is a GREAT qbank. You might also consider some flashcards. I used them micro and pharmacology and found both to be very helpful.

Do you have a particular subject you are looking for a recommendation in?

Members don't see this ad :)
limit the total number of books you use for studying.
IMO - FA and Kaplan Review Series (4 books) are all you need; BRS physio and Goljan/BRS Pathology for supplement....thats it.
For question bank, obviously USMLE world; do 2-3 NBME exams towards the test date.

Thanks!

My main strategy was First Aid, Rapid Review Path, and World. I used other books as supplement - mainly the HY series and anatomy stuff. It all depends on your strengths and weaknesses. For example a lot of people use BRS Physio but I didn't touch it b/c I felt my physio and pathophys backgrounds from class were strong enough.

I would stick with FA and RR Path as your main sources, use supplemental sources to fill in the gaps/add understanding.

I also like USMLE Step 1 Secrets.

and of course FA

Thanks!

Hey OptionMD, I am in the same situation as you are. I have those books and they are great. Goljan Rapid Review is excellent, I have it and the second years at my school swear by it (and they have amazing boards scores). Another great book for for physiology is BRS physiology by Linda Constanzo; there is also a bigger version to this which I like also.
I'll be keeping track of my second year and boards study, including tips, mnemonics, books etc at my blog here:
http://www.heightsofgreatones.blogspot.com/

Good luck studying! :luck: