Recommended books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maraliasson

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few hundred dollars to spend on books and I'm wondering what titles others have found useful or must haves. I already have Harrison's, any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Practical Guide to Care of the Medical Patient
Fred F. Ferri

709712.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I have Pocket Medicine and the Washington Manual, are there any textbooks or outpatient medicine texts anyone recommends? I know textbooks become obsolete quickly, but I lose my book stipend If I don't use it- so I thought some reference books would be nice.

Thanks!

I have Pocket Medicine and the Washington Manual, are there any textbooks or outpatient medicine texts anyone recommends? I know textbooks become obsolete quickly, but I lose my book stipend If I don't use it- so I thought some reference books would be nice.

Thanks!

I've never read it, but every medicine lounge I've been in has Principles of Ambulatory Medicine in it.

The ICU book by Marino is great as well. It's pretty long, but a quick read. In my program, we do 2-3 months of MICU and 2 months of CCU, so if you read a few chapters during each ujnit month, you can get through most of the book by the end of residency. A lot of the chapers (ex. chapters on acid-base, fluids, lytes, ect) can help a lot on the regular medicine wards as well. It's a nice book because it really helps you understand the pathophysiolgy of what is going on.

The ICU book by Marino is great as well. It's pretty long, but a quick read. In my program, we do 2-3 months of MICU and 2 months of CCU, so if you read a few chapters during each ujnit month, you can get through most of the book by the end of residency. A lot of the chapers (ex. chapters on acid-base, fluids, lytes, ect) can help a lot on the regular medicine wards as well. It's a nice book because it really helps you understand the pathophysiolgy of what is going on.
:thumbup:

icu_book.jpg

Thanks for all the information. Has anyone looked into ancillary texts like Fitzpatrick's dermatology atlas or an EKG book like Marriot's? Thanks.

Thanks for all the information. Has anyone looked into ancillary texts like Fitzpatrick's dermatology atlas or an EKG book like Marriot's? Thanks.

I've never used Fitzpatrick's atlas, but Atlas of Clinical Dermatology by du Vivier (ISBN 0443072205) is on my list.

Also, in case you guys missed this in the clutter, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins will be giving a 15% discount on all LWW.com purchases May 21-25 in conjunction with the Test Prep week which SDN is hosting. Along with many other great raffles and discounts from other fine vendors. Please make sure you guys stop into these forums.

Medical Student Survival Guide, by Steve Polk