Recommended pharmacy schools in NYC? thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icee

pre-pharmacy student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I want to apply to at least 3 pharmacy schools. But now, I have no idea which ones in NYC are good. I have heard U of Buffalo and St.johns. I can only get into a 4 years pharmacy program, the 0-6 pharmacy school is not for me anymore. (eg. St.johns university). I have asked St.johns, and i know that they dont accept transfer students. so..i cant get into their pharmacy program. i plan to take prerequisites courses finish them in about 3 years. After that, i will apply to a 4 year pharmacy program. Any recommended pharmacy schools? in NYC? or in other states?
Thank you guys!:D

Members don't see this ad.

How about Long Island University in Brooklyn and the newest Touro College in NYC.

Hi guys!
I want to apply to at least 3 pharmacy schools. But now, I have no idea which ones in NYC are good. I have heard U of Buffalo and St.johns. I can only get into a 4 years pharmacy program, the 0-6 pharmacy school is not for me anymore. (eg. St.johns university). I have asked St.johns, and i know that they dont accept transfer students. so..i cant get into their pharmacy program. i plan to take prerequisites courses finish them in about 3 years. After that, i will apply to a 4 year pharmacy program. Any recommended pharmacy schools? in NYC? or in other states?
Thank you guys!:D

University of Buffalo is not in NYC - there are only 3 pharmacy schools in NYC; St. Johns (which is a 6 year program - don't accept transfers), LIU (you can apply for their 4 yr. program after finishing prerequisites - but very competitive because most seats are given to prepharmacy students who complete their prerequisites at LIU), and 3rd is Touro which only has professional program.)
The three NY State schools are Univ. of Buffalo, St. John's Fisher and Albany College of Pharmacy.
By the time you're finished with your prerequisites (think you said 3 years), there will probably be a few more opening up in NYC and NY State based on the past few years statistics of new pharmacy schools opening up. I know that there are plans of opening one in Queens, at CUNY Queens College within the next year or so. Not sure if that's definite though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Buffalo is not in NYC - there are only 3 pharmacy schools in NYC; St. Johns (which is a 6 year program - don't accept transfers), LIU (you can apply for their 4 yr. program after finishing prerequisites - but very competitive because most seats are given to prepharmacy students who complete their prerequisites at LIU), and 3rd is Touro which only has professional program.)
The three NY State schools are Univ. of Buffalo, St. John's Fisher and Albany College of Pharmacy.
By the time you're finished with your prerequisites (think you said 3 years), there will probably be a few more opening up in NYC and NY State based on the past few years statistics of new pharmacy schools opening up. I know that there are plans of opening one in Queens, at CUNY Queens College within the next year or so. Not sure if that's definite though.

omg really =o how'd you hear that ?!!

really
when does queens college open pharmacy program?

my friend is studing at queenc college
he also want to be a pharmacist
but he never hear there was a pharmacy program in Queens college

I don't know why they'd open one at Queens College. St. John's is right there. If they should open one anywhere in that area, it should be out east on Long Island, like Stony Brook.

I agree with you, but last year I read in a CUNY bulletin that the CUNY system was planning on opening a pharmacy program in 2010 (to help alleviate the SHORTAGE of pharmacists in NYC) :laugh:
Planning to have it housed at one of the CUNY schools was to benefit future pharmacy students (so that the tuition would be affordable to all.) When they mentioned Queens College, it was not a definite plan. They probably chose this school due to the size of the facility, figuring there was some available space for expanding at this site.
I bet now that the shortage is no more, the plans for a CUNY pharmacy school have been halted.

Last edited:
CUNY is expanding its degree offerings, but York College will begin offering a BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences. NONE of the CUNY schools are considering opening a pharmacy school.

Completely incorrect information you are passing along.

http://web.cuny.edu/administration/chancellor/column_p=116.html

If you read my post more accurately, you will see that I said LAST YEAR a CUNY bulletin talked about plans of opening up a pharmacy school in 2010 (with consideration towards Queens College.) I am currently a CUNY student who read this information at the campus library. As a matter of fact, I was pretty excited when I read it, even though it was only in the beginning stages of discussion and not a definite plan - I never said it was set in stone, so where do you get off telling me that I'm passing on incorrect information?
As of now, I haven't noticed any updates on this, so I'm sure that plans have been postponed due to the economy and drastic reversal of pharmacy shortage to pharmacy surplus in such a short period of time.:(

Three sources to research:

CUNY 2008-2112 Master Plan (page 68)
NY1 News/Education (March 3, 2009 archive) "CUNY Considers Opening Pharmacy School".
NY Post (March edition) also has a piece about possible CUNY Pharmacy School in future.

BS in Pharmaceutical Sciences at York College is either an additional offering, or a replacement to the original plan of offering a professional degree in pharmacy.

Last edited: