1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

recovering from bad 1st year for step1

Discussion in 'Step I' started by globallmedicine, Apr 12, 2007.

1. globallmedicine

globallmedicine New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    anyone out there have a poor 1st year and able to achieve a good board score (ie 230)?

how did you do it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. basupran

basupran ortho, study, cars, lift
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IMHO, year 1 isn't that important for step 1. Most of biochem and histo will be gone over again in path. Anatomy and embryo will be mostly clinical so you might be able to pick up on what you need elsewhere. Don't feel doomed, year 2 is much more important for the boards. It isn't like 50% year 1, 50% year 2. I would probably say it is closer to 20:80, but you have to realize that year 1 was designed to be the foundation on which year 2 builds.

4. dr.weiner

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Work harder for step 1. Read all these threads and come up with what you think would work best for you.

5. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, year 1 isn't terribly important for Step1. I actually almost totally ignored Anatomy and Biochem b/c they were so low-yield and I did great.

Keep in mind that the average at US MD schools is around 215 w/ a std dev of around 20, so a 230 is a score that many, many med students will achieve. It's hardly the impossible dream.

6. ertugrul

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I don't think that biochemistry is low yield, it may not be high yield but it's probably medium-yield.

7. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    2nd year will come more easily than you think. Why? Because by learning about disease you are reviewing normal function. Because pathophysiology is more interesting than physiology. Because a lot of the crap they made you learn in 1st year is not on Step 1 because it has no clinical application.

8. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    that's fair. my thing was that my hatred for biochem was sufficient to make me just work that much harder on path.

9. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

Did any of you have pathology, or a substantial amount of, during MS1?

10. bones4u

bones4u Residency>>>Med School
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had a poor first year (really not motivated, questioning if I made the right decision, etc) - lots of Ps, an MP as well.

In 2nd year though, learn the material well, in depth. And don't cram it. The best way to study for step is doing well in 2nd year. Lay a strong foundation to build on for your step studying next year.

best of luck