Coursework & Fieldwork Recovering from end-of-semester burnout...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTStudentSept2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm nearing the end of spring semester, and we only get a week off before summer semester.

I've been feeling rather burned-out from classes this semester. I know I'm experiencing a bit of depression. The depression is one of the things keeping me from reaching out to my classmates. I know that would be helpful socially and academically.

I don't have enough free time to do more shadowing to recharge enthusiasm about OT, and I'm already seeing a counselor about the depression. I'm considering taking a year off from school, but I would have to work full-time to support my living expenses, and I don't know how quickly I could get a job. I might be viewed as overqualified for some jobs, and in others I'd be asked why I left OT school and was I going back.

If you needed to recharge and hit the ground running for a following semester in very little time, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting my DPT program this fall. In order to finish on time my course load has had me work 60 hours a week on average including class and study time. This will continue through summer until two weeks before my program. As someone who has struggled with mental illness in the past I think I can directly relate to you.

Being complacent will not help. Exercise...and I don't just mean hop up on the elliptical. Try group fitness or better yet....YOGA. I'm like the one guy in the classes at my uni. during summer sessions. Getting into the here and now is everything and you will use muscles you've never thought were there. If that is not stimulating enough of a response for you then up the intensity of a different workout. You will sleep like a baby.

Are you doing cognitive behavioral therapy with your counselor? It helped me a lot. There is also a book called "Hardwiring Happiness" that I highly recommend. It gives simple practice tips day by day that may only take five minutes. My psychiatrist always used to push that to me as well. I've been more balanced. If you are in a relatively sunny or warm area of the country then get outside. Read by the pool in your break week. Get out of the library and the house.

Avoid alcohol. That will only exacerbate your depression and drop your mood. A terrible terrible combination.
Make your diet as healthy as possible. If you're on that ramen noodle grad student grind then toss out and get your regimented meals three times a day or so balanced with your essentials. Nutrition is so largely overlooked for personal well-being. Heck, there are RD's making livings off of creating nutrition guidelines.

Another thing that helped me. Incorporating an outlet during breaks that had nothing to do with working, collecting a paycheck, or preparation (students are always always always prepping for the next semester). A fishing day. An afternoon of painting or learning a simple song. Give yourself an urban vacay for a few days. You may notice your perspective and mind completely change in outlook if your behavior goes like this.

If you are comfortable then REACH OUT to a close classmate. The mental health issues in healthcare from burnout, schooling, and emotional stress should never be neglected from the community of workers and students.

Hope this helps. Stay in touch with the counselor and MAKE SURE to point out when practice methods are not working. It's their job to conform to the patient's needs whether that be a PhD, PsyD, LMHC, or social worker

Reactions: 1 user
At the moment, I'm sort of doing crisis management with my counselor - do I quit the program, take a leave of absence, continue on... But I've expressed interest in doing CBT in the future, and ordered a couple of CBT self-help books off of Amazon. May take a look at "Hardwiring Happiness"

Nutrition - I've gotten to the point where the fridge is filled up with expired packages of carrots, pre-washed lettuce and such. I know there's some cheese and yogurt in there somewhere that isn't expired, but don't know where exactly. I'm going back to eating large amounts of chocolate as a dietary staple, and that can't be good.

I don't really have any close classmates- that's part of the problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the moment, I'm sort of doing crisis management with my counselor - do I quit the program, take a leave of absence, continue on... But I've expressed interest in doing CBT in the future, and ordered a couple of CBT self-help books off of Amazon. May take a look at "Hardwiring Happiness"

Nutrition - I've gotten to the point where the fridge is filled up with expired packages of carrots, pre-washed lettuce and such. I know there's some cheese and yogurt in there somewhere that isn't expired, but don't know where exactly. I'm going back to eating large amounts of chocolate as a dietary staple, and that can't be good.

I don't really have any close classmates- that's part of the problem.

This needs to change then. Im rooming with a DPT student and a Med student. You get some solidarity going. Can you get something going for next year?

If you are going to do CBT, then please have your counselor or someone clinically trained do it with you. You will not get results quite as well just starting from scratch.

As for nutrition.......:thumbdown:.....gotta fix. Ask your classmates as well.

Also consult resources at your school. Even significantly more rigorous programs like dental at my institution have things worked out where they can get testing accomodations etc. in low stress environments. Internalizing everything is bad, and you're not weak by opening up (just wanted to toss that out there in case that was hiding somewhere in the back of your head).

I actually think that speaking up about my situation and struggles (doing the opposite of internalizing) has gotten me in trouble with my professors. I've been told I sound too critical when I feel like I'm just advocating for myself and others.

^Referring to speaking up at a counseling or wellness center or among some classmates. We will continue this PM