Quantcast

Recreation therapy (volunteering) at hospital, clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentp0x

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I've done ~200 hours over a span of ~2 years (stopped last spring, it was ~2 hrs a week) of recreation therapy. Basically I worked with terminally ill patients (palliative care) as well as patients in continuing care. So I see 3 things that have come from this:

1) Mentally stimulating games to cognitively stimulate elderly patients and those with dementia.

2) Improving the quality of life of those who are terminally ill.

3) At one time I was involved in something like "behavioral alteration therapy" or something like that, with a couple patients.

So 2 questions...

1) Is this considered a strong EC? (since it's 200 hours over 2 years... though it's the most I could get given the strict number of spots in this hospital's health system for this specific position) It would be my 3rd best EC.

2) Are any of those 3 points not considered to be "legit" in the clinical sense? @Goro

Last edited:

Well if you were passionate about it and had a great experience with a lot to talk about then it is a solid EC. It could be considered clinical if health care was being administered.