Recruiting or a money making scheme?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fernj75

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok here is my dilemma. I just received a letter from the University of Boston stating that ? Congratulation on your performance on the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)! Your score indicate that you can be successful in medical school. I would like to invite you to apply to Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM). Now, are they really actively recruiting me or do they just want my $95.00 ??????? I would love to apply there if I were sure of at least getting an interview otherwise I would save my $95.00 which will help me cover the cost of traveling to my interview at other schools.
Thanks for you replies.
null

Members don't see this ad.

Well, does your MCAT and GPA average match theirs?

I would say that their interest in you is genuine. Considring how many people submit secondaries to schools (WITHOUT any interest expressed by said school), I don't think they would waste their time (and yours) by actively "recruiting" secondaries from people they had zero interest in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my GPA and MCAT scores are up to par with their average.

Originally posted by alladawi:
•I would say that their interest in you is genuine. Considring how many people submit secondaries to schools (WITHOUT any interest expressed by said school), I don't think they would waste their time (and yours) by actively "recruiting" secondaries from people they had zero interest in.•

I'd be a little more careful, another poster here was rejected from pitt. after deciding to apply when they sent that "we love you" :)P) mail.

I got crap like that from places like WashU and Pitt, and MDPhD stuff from a bunch of places. I have a 3.3, and a 3.0 science GPA. Do you think I'd be a competitive for these programs? Me neither. They just have MCAT cutoffs, and they send those things to everyone above a certain score. I got a 35 MCAT, so I got their mailings. That doesn't make me a competitive applicant. The point I'm trying to make (though I'm rambling a lot) is that you should decide for yourself (based on qualitative and quantitative factors) whether to apply to these places. Don't get sucked in by mass mailings.

Barton, if you are reading this would you send me your email address? I know you had a U of MN interview and are an out-of-stater. I am in the same situation and wanted to ask about your interview...

watto,
see my interview posting on interviewfeedback.com. my email address (as listed there) is [email protected]. I welcome any questions. I am actually in state for MN (I'm from rochester), but did talk to an out-of-stater at my interview.