red bull/energy drink before VR and BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osjx-82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't usually drink them, so is this a good idea? does your mental alertness come crashing down shortly after drinking them, i.e. in the middle of these sections?

fatigue is bit of an issue for me during VR and BS...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah...you definately crash. All other ingredients aside, it's alot like taking caffeine pills.

And with the territory, alot of people have to use the bathroom constantly (for both evacuation methods)...which may break your focus in the exam.

If you're not used to it, it may actually hurt your concentration.

osjx-82 said:
I don't usually drink them, so is this a good idea? does your mental alertness come crashing down shortly after drinking them, i.e. in the middle of these sections?

With only 9 days to go, you don't want to be experimenting with new chemicals in your system. If you have not been using energy drinks to prep and practice then I would advise against starting now. The possibility of unpredictable results are not worth the potential (I personally think negligible) advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drank a Monster energy drink before my BS section yesterday... I had to use the bathroom 30 minutes in... bad. Not going to risk it on MCAT day... all Gatorade for me :)

Lately I've been drinking so much gatorade/day (up to half-gallon), I start craving it in the middle of the day. I'm definitely bringing a half-gallon to the test.

superwillis said:
Lately I've been drinking so much gatorade/day (up to half-gallon), I start craving it in the middle of the day. I'm definitely bringing a half-gallon to the test.

why gatorade? because of salt in it?

osjx-82 said:

There is a saying "never try anything new on raceday". Depending on how seasoned you are to caffine you could either have a awesome day of quick instincts or constant anxiety that wont help you figure out the more analytical questions.

gatorde because kaplan has an inside deal with them.

there's this gum out (jolt gum) that isnt a bad idea to keep in your pocket. it has caffeine in it and popping a piece in the middle of a 100 minute section keeps me on my toes.

osjx-82 said:

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. But, I was going to experiment with it first before the acutal test day. Now, I don't know if I should just totally ditch the idea. :confused:

go lakers said:

there's this gum out (jolt gum) that isnt a bad idea to keep in your pocket. it has caffeine in it and popping a piece in the middle of a 100 minute section keeps me on my toes.

sounds interesting...is this gum sold at regular grocery stores?

osjx-82 said:

How do you function without redbull? I drink one sugar-free redbull a day and I will probably have several with my jagermeister next saturday night. I assumed everyone that is studying for the MCAT used redbull, I don't know how else I would be able to stay awake as long as I do.

Hardbody said:
How do you function without redbull? I drink one sugar-free redbull a day and I will probably have several with my jagermeister next saturday night. I assumed everyone that is studying for the MCAT used redbull, I don't know how else I would be able to stay awake as long as I do.

So, 10 years ago, before all these stupid energy drinks displaced the wonderful variety of sweetened iced teas the supermarkets once sold, people just fell asleep all the time?

Knickerbocker said:
So, 10 years ago, before all these stupid energy drinks displaced the wonderful variety of sweetened iced teas the supermarkets once sold, people just fell asleep all the time?

Either that or got more than 3 hours of sleep a night like I (and many others on this forum) get. Perhaps they drank coffee, I will substitute coffee for redbull once in a while myself (especially in the winter).

go lakers said:

Intersting you mention gum. I've never used it, but have a few friends who sware by nicotine gum (they are both Med Oncology fellows). Wouldn't reccomend this to anyone, but it is intersting, as nicotine has been shown to increase concentration. I'll stick with caffeine. ;)

Drink a shot of espresso before each section. I am SURE you will stay alert. :D

I don't know how much insight I can bring to this thread since I'm not even close to being ready to take the MCAT.

However, after working for 3 years as a paid EMT-B. I'd like to offer the insight that the gatorade you drink is similar to the fluid given through IV bags. I wouldn't suggest downing an IV bag because it has significantly less sugar, and I'm sure the waterboy wouldn't approve of its contents.

That being said--> an IV bag is high in electrolytes....and guess what...so is gatorade.

Lemme just remind any higher status EMT's (EMT-I, P) and nurses, I'm just a lowly EMT-B that has IV tech certification. Please don't bite my head off if any part of the above information is wrong. In my defense, that's what I learned in the class room. :)

ALL and ALL,

don't drink coffee
don't drink energy drinks (NASTY)

gatorade yay....water yay....full bladder boo

I tried drinking Red Bull before the VR section (never usually drink it), and I performed about the same for the VR and BS sections. I felt that I was better able to concentrate, though (I finished BS quicker than I usually do).

Anyone else that usually doesnt drink Red Bull test it out?