1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

red bull/energy drink before VR and BS?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by osjx-82, Aug 10, 2006.

1. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't usually drink them, so is this a good idea? does your mental alertness come crashing down shortly after drinking them, i.e. in the middle of these sections?

fatigue is bit of an issue for me during VR and BS...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Foolins

Foolins Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Yeah...you definately crash. All other ingredients aside, it's alot like taking caffeine pills.

And with the territory, alot of people have to use the bathroom constantly (for both evacuation methods)...which may break your focus in the exam.

If you're not used to it, it may actually hurt your concentration.

4. MahSpoon

MahSpoon is TOOOOO big
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With only 9 days to go, you don't want to be experimenting with new chemicals in your system. If you have not been using energy drinks to prep and practice then I would advise against starting now. The possibility of unpredictable results are not worth the potential (I personally think negligible) advantage.

5. osjx-82

osjx-82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the replies :)

6. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I drank a Monster energy drink before my BS section yesterday... I had to use the bathroom 30 minutes in... bad. Not going to risk it on MCAT day... all Gatorade for me :)

7. superwillis

superwillis Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Lately I've been drinking so much gatorade/day (up to half-gallon), I start craving it in the middle of the day. I'm definitely bringing a half-gallon to the test.

8. mcat_study

mcat_study eukaryote
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    why gatorade? because of salt in it?

9. Keau

Keau Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is a saying "never try anything new on raceday". Depending on how seasoned you are to caffine you could either have a awesome day of quick instincts or constant anxiety that wont help you figure out the more analytical questions.

10. Wildstang

Wildstang Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    gatorade has electrolytes...

11. go lakers

go lakers Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    gatorde because kaplan has an inside deal with them.

there's this gum out (jolt gum) that isnt a bad idea to keep in your pocket. it has caffeine in it and popping a piece in the middle of a 100 minute section keeps me on my toes.

12. MedicineForLife 777

MedicineForLife 777 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. But, I was going to experiment with it first before the acutal test day. Now, I don't know if I should just totally ditch the idea. :confused:

13. ih8mcat

ih8mcat Dynomite!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    sounds interesting...is this gum sold at regular grocery stores?

14. Hardbody

Hardbody Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

How do you function without redbull? I drink one sugar-free redbull a day and I will probably have several with my jagermeister next saturday night. I assumed everyone that is studying for the MCAT used redbull, I don't know how else I would be able to stay awake as long as I do.

15. Knickerbocker

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So, 10 years ago, before all these stupid energy drinks displaced the wonderful variety of sweetened iced teas the supermarkets once sold, people just fell asleep all the time?

16. Hardbody

Hardbody Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Either that or got more than 3 hours of sleep a night like I (and many others on this forum) get. Perhaps they drank coffee, I will substitute coffee for redbull once in a while myself (especially in the winter).

17. DrFreeman

DrFreeman Medical Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Red bull plus expresso shot. If this doesnt get you going then I dont know what will.

18. go lakers

go lakers Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    yeup. at least, gas stations for sure.

19. Surg Path

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Intersting you mention gum. I've never used it, but have a few friends who sware by nicotine gum (they are both Med Oncology fellows). Wouldn't reccomend this to anyone, but it is intersting, as nicotine has been shown to increase concentration. I'll stick with caffeine. ;)

20. rcwhite007

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Drink a shot of espresso before each section. I am SURE you will stay alert. :D

21. Edivocke

Edivocke Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I don't know how much insight I can bring to this thread since I'm not even close to being ready to take the MCAT.

However, after working for 3 years as a paid EMT-B. I'd like to offer the insight that the gatorade you drink is similar to the fluid given through IV bags. I wouldn't suggest downing an IV bag because it has significantly less sugar, and I'm sure the waterboy wouldn't approve of its contents.

That being said--> an IV bag is high in electrolytes....and guess what...so is gatorade.

Lemme just remind any higher status EMT's (EMT-I, P) and nurses, I'm just a lowly EMT-B that has IV tech certification. Please don't bite my head off if any part of the above information is wrong. In my defense, that's what I learned in the class room. :)

ALL and ALL,

don't drink coffee
    don't drink energy drinks (NASTY)

gatorade yay....water yay....full bladder boo

22. MedicineForLife 777

MedicineForLife 777 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I tried drinking Red Bull before the VR section (never usually drink it), and I performed about the same for the VR and BS sections. I felt that I was better able to concentrate, though (I finished BS quicker than I usually do).

Anyone else that usually doesnt drink Red Bull test it out?