DPTinthemaking15

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
The other day I visited my state's school diversity office. They were extremely helpful and told me everything that their adcom's like to see. They also allowed me to check out MCAT books in their library to prepare for the MCAT, and told me they would offer a mock interview/look over my application when it comes closer to application season. So I am confident they are doing their best to make sure I receive an acceptance in their 2019 class.

But I am a worried about one thing they talked about during my meeting. During my sophomore year I made a C in Chem I and a B in the lab. Afterwards, I made an A in Chem II and Orgo. I'm expecting to make an A in Biochem as well. They told me their dean places a lot of emphasis on Biology and Chemistry, should I retake Chem I? Also, I made a C in one of my math classes my freshman year (I was an awful student at the beginning of college). Should I retake these courses to raise my BCPM grade? I know the consensus on SDN is to take an upper level biology course to show improvement, but I don't want a C in Chemistry to hold me back from receiving an interview.

Govols22

2+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Getting a single C in a class is not a red flag. You will be fine. You aren't going to not get interviewed solely because of one C.

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Do not retake a passing grade. The consensus is to take an upper-level class in the same department. You have already accomplished this for chemistry. You can choose to do the same for math if you haven't done so already. An upper-level bio class will not help with chemistry or math.

If your BCPM is just too low, then retaking classes will show to ADCOMs that you are taking intro classes where you already learned a lot of the material. It just doesn't look that good. Take an astronomy class or something.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The other day I visited my state's school diversity office. They were extremely helpful and told me everything that their adcom's like to see. They also allowed me to check out MCAT books in their library to prepare for the MCAT, and told me they would offer a mock interview/look over my application when it comes closer to application season. So I am confident they are doing their best to make sure I receive an acceptance in their 2019 class.

But I am a worried about one thing they talked about during my meeting. During my sophomore year I made a C in Chem I and a B in the lab. Afterwards, I made an A in Chem II and Orgo. I'm expecting to make an A in Biochem as well. They told me their dean places a lot of emphasis on Biology and Chemistry, should I retake Chem I? Also, I made a C in one of my math classes my freshman year (I was an awful student at the beginning of college). Should I retake these courses to raise my BCPM grade? I know the consensus on SDN is to take an upper level biology course to show improvement, but I don't want a C in Chemistry to hold me back from receiving an interview.
One can have several Fs on a transcript and still get IIs to Harvard!

If you go to the Interview Feedback forum, you'll see that "So, what's up with that C in course X?" is a common interview question. Ergo, a few bad grades aren't lethal.

Reactions: bulbosity
OP
DPTinthemaking15

DPTinthemaking15

2+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Do not retake a passing grade. The consensus is to take an upper-level class in the same department. You have already accomplished this for chemistry. You can choose to do the same for math if you haven't done so already. An upper-level bio class will not help with chemistry or math.

If your BCPM is just too low, then retaking classes will show to ADCOMs that you are taking intro classes where you already learned a lot of the material. It just doesn't look that good. Take an astronomy class or something.
Thank you! I may sit for some upper level chem classes next spring.
One can have several Fs on a transcript and still get IIs to Harvard!

If you go to the Interview Feedback forum, you'll see that "So, what's up with that C in course X?" is a common interview question. Ergo, a few bad grades aren't lethal.
Great! I should have utilized my search function bar a little more, my apologies lol. It looks like I'll keep on truckin' this semester. Thank you guys!