Redacted, good luck folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

survivors

dood
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've omitted some pretty interesting ECs (I think they're interesting lol) to maintain some anonymity, but hopefully the information below should be representative of my application! Trying not to exceed 25 schools.

[Redacted]

halp pls @Goro @Faha @gyngyn

(edited for anonymity)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Love the screen name.

I suggest

UWashington
Harvard -
Yale
Stanford -
UCSF
Columbia
Cornell
Wash U
Northwestern
U Chicago
Duke
Mt Sinai
Case
Emory
UCLA including DREW
UCSF
Pitt
OR H&S
USC
Boston U
Einstein
Hofstra
The HBCs
NYU
Vandy

Reactions: 1 user
Love the screen name.

I suggest

UWashington
Harvard -
Yale
Stanford -
UCSF
Columbia
Cornell
Wash U
Northwestern
U Chicago
Duke
Mt Sinai
Case
Emory
UCLA including DREW
UCSF
Pitt
OR H&S
USC
Boston U
Einstein
Hofstra
The HBCs
NYU
Vandy
Wow, is that easy to overlook a 3.45? This is reassuring. Edit: Oh he’s URM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Love the screen name.

I suggest

UWashington
Harvard -
Yale
Stanford -
UCSF
Columbia
Cornell
Wash U
Northwestern
U Chicago
Duke
Mt Sinai
Case
Emory
UCLA including DREW
UCSF
Pitt
OR H&S
USC
Boston U
Einstein
Hofstra
The HBCs
NYU
Vandy
Also, I’d add Brown to the list since he was a Brown undergrad just to be safe.

Yeah, galling to the hyperacheivers, isn't it? Anyone with a 3.3 GPA can make it through med school.
I was just saying theoretically if you had a 3.45 but we’re stellar with everything else, but we’re NOT URM, would it be same or would SMP be the only choice for MD? That’s all I was trying to ask.

I was just saying theoretically if you had a 3.45 but we’re stellar with everything else, but we’re NOT URM, would it be same or would SMP be the only choice for MD? That’s all I was trying to ask.
You can get into an MD school with a 3.45. There are schools where 3.3 and 3.4 are their 10th %iles.

Will this be likely? No. But possible? Yes, especially with an excellent app.

But if someone gets shut out completely the first cycle, they should consider:

Applying DO and MD on the 2nd cycle
Consider an SMP

Remember, the median GPA for MD acceptees is 3.7.

It depends on what you consider "stellar", what your ECs are, and how compelling your story is. If the rest of your app is Harvard-grade and you have a strong upward trend? Sure. If your activities are cookie-cutter and your MCAT around 510? Not as likely.

It depends on what you consider "stellar", what your ECs are, and how compelling your story is. If the rest of your app is Harvard-grade and you have a strong upward trend? Sure. If your activities are cookie-cutter and your MCAT around 510? Not as likely.
Should you include every organization you’ve done over 30 hours of volunteering with on your application or is there some type of a limit?

Add U of Utah if you are from idaho, the school contracts with the state to accept a certain number of idaho residents each year, and you get in-state tuition. With your MCAT and URM status you would be really competitive there. They don't usually have a lot of diversity in their class haha

Yep. Not only are you an African-American bringing much-needed diversity to the medical field, but you are from Idaho. Your experiences there might add their own unique layer of diversity!

Love the screen name.

I suggest

UWashington
Harvard -
Yale
Stanford -
UCSF
Columbia
Cornell
Wash U
Northwestern
U Chicago
Duke
Mt Sinai
Case
Emory
UCLA including DREW
UCSF
Pitt
OR H&S
USC
Boston U
Einstein
Hofstra
The HBCs
NYU
Vandy

This list feels so top-heavy it could fall through the earth :) If you were me, would you make a bet such as this one with this list?

OP is URM. Was that the case in the other post? Also, Brown was on the OP's list here, not mine.
No, I just meant that he wrote that he had personal ties to Brown, which shouldn’t mean being URM is the connection. I assumed he had to be a Brown undergrad to have a tie, but you implied that that wasn’t the case. He can have a significant boost by being URM, but I don’t think OP would consider that a “tie”.

No, I just meant that he wrote that he had personal ties to Brown, which shouldn’t mean being URM is the connection. I assumed he had to be a Brown undergrad to have a tie, but you implied that that wasn’t the case. He can have a significant boost by being URM, but I don’t think OP would consider that a “tie”.
I don't know...I'm pretty sceptical about what the typical pre-med considers a "tie" to a place.

Hi, @Goro, @Faha, @Walter Raleigh, checking in on how this list looks after the new MSAR release. My non-clinical volunteering, including activities I'd forgotten about is 500+ hrs. Research is now closer to 3000 hrs. Clinical Volunteering now includes a leadership position within the hospital. Startup has clients! Thanks so much for your help.
List still stands