Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Redeeming myself from poor undergrad. grades...

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharmwannab, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Pharmwannab

Pharmwannab Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello,

I'm basically writing to see if anyone has managed to get into pharmacy school being in a situation like mine. I have my undergraduate degree from Berkeley in genetics but my GPA was pretty poor (2.5) due to a variety of factors - didn't really care about school at the time, didn't know what I wanted to with my life, several difficult engineering courses, etc. Worked for two years, then I got back into school at a Cal State university, determined to make it into pharmacy school. I now know that it's the career for me after having done extensive research, but I'm not sure if I can make it. I've been retaking the science pre-reqs for pharm. school since January and so far have a post-bac GPA of 4.0. I'm currently taking o chem, physics, biochem, and animal biology this quarter and still expecting a 4.0. Let's just assume I can keep up at this rate. I'm planning on applying next year in June. I'll also have nearly 100 hours of volunteering in a hospital and about 7 months of pharmacy experience working as a tech by then (I'm a licensed tech starting a job soon), in addition to helping found and run the student run pre-health association on campus and volunteering on the student health activist committee. I figure I'll have to have all these extracurriculars in order to offset my Berkeley GPA. Has anyone been in a similiar situation and gotten in or know of anyone in a similiar situation who's gotten in? When I've talked to my advisor at school, he's a bit evasive and didn't really have any answers. I mean, I really want to do pharmacy school but I'm pretty worried that my past transgressions will prevent me from making it. I'm thinking I'll do graduate school in synthetic chemistry as a back-up, but would really prefer pharmacy. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pharmwannab

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    No one? Meh, figured there would be at least one or two people out there with a similiar situation who actually got in. Guess maybe there is no redemption for me? :confused: Must be nice having everything be stellar from the get go.

4. michele_107

michele_107 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Everybody has various issues they have to overcome...but it seems that you are doing really well now in the prerequisite classes that you are retaking. My undergraduate GPA is not all that great either and I've already been accepted for fall 2006... so if I were you, I would definitely apply :) I think admissions comittees take all things into consideration and look at more than just grades... but, that's just my opinion :D

5. Pharmwannab

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for your reply. Do you mind telling me what your GPA was? I've never heard of anyone getting in with a low undergrad GPA like mine, so I feel like I'm taking a huge risk going through this whole process. Also, what school did you get into? Thanks a lot.

6. dawgg912

dawgg912 jbhnguyen
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey man, I'm in a similar situation like you right now. I didnt do too hot in undergrad, had a 2.7 undergrad cum gpa from UCLA in Psychobiology, applied to cali schools 2 years ago and didnt get any interviews. I've retaken some courses since at cc's and raised it to 2.95 overall, taken the pcat and got an 89 percentile composite, worked as a tech and now working in research and development in a lab. I reapplied early this year and I just finished interviewing at midwestern chicago with an interview at shenandoah dec 9 and midwestern glendale dec 19. I was in a slump for a couple years but I recently met a pharmacist who helped me get my confidence back and look at where I'm at now. I'm confident to say that I'm gonna get in somewhere this year and be able to follow my dreams.