Redundancy with Secondary Essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XavierFrost

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any advice about how to deal with secondary essays that are essentially the same as the essays found on the AMCAS primary app. My particular question is getting a secondary essay that asks to describe my research interests/goals and about my desire to be an MD/PhD student, which I already wrote about in the AMCAS MD/PhD supplemental essays. Im asking here because I figured that there may be some secondary essays that also ask for what amounts to the personal statement from AMCAS.

Would it be a bad idea to begin the secondary essay with " Along with the reasons mentioned in my AMCAS essays....." and try to expand on some other ideas, or just try and rephrase the reasons I had already mentioned extensively in those essays?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any advice about how to deal with secondary essays that are essentially the same as the essays found on the AMCAS primary app. My particular question is getting a secondary essay that asks to describe my research interests/goals and about my desire to be an MD/PhD student, which I already wrote about in the AMCAS MD/PhD supplemental essays. Im asking here because I figured that there may be some secondary essays that also ask for what amounts to the personal statement from AMCAS.

Would it be a bad idea to begin the secondary essay with " Along with the reasons mentioned in my AMCAS essays....." and try to expand on some other ideas, or just try and rephrase the reasons I had already mentioned extensively in those essays?

Thanks for the help!

Please don't refer back to your AMCAS application-- what if that specific reader hasn't read your primary, or even forgotten the simple details of it? I would restate your position (albeit, in different words), and possibly add more depth to it. Hope that helps!