Refer to "Weill Medical College of Cornell University" as "Weill" in essay?

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status
Hi everyone,

I am putting the finishing touches on my "Why Cornell" secondary essay, and am wondering if anyone knows if "Weill Medical College of Cornell University" is commonly referred to as simply "Weill." While I believe "Feinberg" and "Pritzker" are commonly used as substitutes for their respective longer names, I have never seen "Weill" used alone -- the shortest I've seen on their website is "Weill Cornell" -- and thus wanted to make sure I wouldn't sound funny or overly casual in my statement if I use it.

I suppose this question sounds a bit ridiculous, but maybe someone can understand where I'm coming from.

Cheers

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
i think the biggest lesson that i learned from SDN so far is
"The ADCOMs are not stupid"

hope that answers your question

narc

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status
geno2568 said:
i think the biggest lesson that i learned from SDN so far is
"The ADCOMs are not stupid"

hope that answers your question

I honestly don't see how that helped at all???? :confused:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
You can't go wrong calling it Cornell. Weill Cornell is okay too (but more characters). The adcom will know what you mean if you say Weill but it is better to use the name it uses itself.

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would use "Cornell", just like I would use "Loyola" for Loyola's Stritch school, etc. :)

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
narc said:
I honestly don't see how that helped at all???? :confused:
What i mean is....no ADCOM is gonna look at you essay and say
"he didnt put the full name of the institution!! He must have no respect for our school!! Reject Him!!!!"

OP
dimebag darrell

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status
LizzyM said:
You can't go wrong calling it Cornell. Weill Cornell is okay too (but more characters). The adcom will know what you mean if you say Weill but it is better to use the name it uses itself.
Thanks LizzyM and others who posted helpful responses. My question was essentially if anyone knew if they ever call themselves just "Weill," and I guess the answer is no.

HairyCow

Sweeping the Nation
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Is "Weill" pronounced like "while?" That's my first guess. Other contenders are "whale," "wheel," and "we ill."

Kimka83

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Status
Medical Student
When I was there, I heard "while"

EazyE

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
dimebag darrell said:
Hi everyone,

I am putting the finishing touches on my "Why Cornell" secondary essay, and am wondering if anyone knows if "Weill Medical College of Cornell University" is commonly referred to as simply "Weill." While I believe "Feinberg" and "Pritzker" are commonly used as substitutes for their respective longer names, I have never seen "Weill" used alone -- the shortest I've seen on their website is "Weill Cornell" -- and thus wanted to make sure I wouldn't sound funny or overly casual in my statement if I use it.

I suppose this question sounds a bit ridiculous, but maybe someone can understand where I'm coming from.

Cheers
what are the essays for cornell? Is it just Why Cornell? or is there another one?

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
HairyCow said:
Is "Weill" pronounced like "while?" That's my first guess. Other contenders are "whale," "wheel," and "we ill."
It could also be pronounced "well". Those silent middle "i"s are tricky.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
I used Weill, Weill Cornell, and Weill Medical Colledge. Cornell alone is the usual reference for the undergraduate school in Ithaca. And yes, Weill is pronounced like "while".

etf

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status
sandy weill is one of my heroes. man did he turn citicorp around. too bad about travelers though. Anyway, he deserves to have made a boatload of money and donate it to his alma mater...