Referees and ESL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - do adcoms take into consideration that the first language of our referees may not be english and as such - the letter they write may not be well written? I mean - my referee thinks quite highly of me and said a lot of good things about me in the letter but...the english was terrible. As an example he wrote "...he is an initiative and responsible person..." or "...he wants to be doctor b/c he was inspired by our chairman, dr. joseph..."

I know that I shouldn't even know this b/c afterall it is confidential but I just had to know b/c I suspected this would happen.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's recommended to try and get a letter from someone who can write well, but they'll probably take that into consideration.

I assume by referee you mean a letter writer, right?

Personally, I wouldn't ask someone who doesn't have good, professional English writing skills. It sucks, I know--they may know you best, be willing to give a strong reference, etc--but it's going to be a problem if they can't convey this well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about referees that don't speak English, but I've definitely had blind referees before. They've cost my team the game on more than one occasion...

NapeSpikes is correct, I think the preferred term is "letter writer." Technically, they would be the "referrers," and you would be the "referee," if we're making up words based on the verb "refer" :)

WholeLottaGame7 said:
I don't know about referees that don't speak English, but I've definitely had blind referees before. They've cost my team the game on more than one occasion...

NapeSpikes is correct, I think the preferred term is "letter writer." Technically, they would be the "referrers," and you would be the "referee," if we're making up words based on the verb "refer" :)

I think it's an american/canadian difference again b/c the letters of reference/confidential assessment forms are written by my 3 referees. I guess I'm outta luck on this one then...damn it.

xylem29 said:
I think it's an american/canadian difference again b/c the letters of reference/confidential assessment forms are written by my 3 referees. I guess I'm outta luck on this one then...damn it.

Unless they are wearing black and white stripes and blowing whistles, that is not how the term referee is used in this country. Although if you were an athlete, I suppose you could get a letter of reference from a referee.