reference for anatomy atlas, med dictionary or IM books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preference for anatomy atlas, med dictionary or IM books?

• Atlas: Moses

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Atlas: Rohen

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Atlas: Gilroy

• Dictionary: Dorland

• Dictionary: Stedman

• IM: Cecil Medicine by Goldman

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • IM: Harrison's Principles of IM

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please vote for your preference in each category. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you don't need a dictionary. (the internet! I was issued Stedman's at the begining of the year and haven't opened it. I don't forsee a situation in the future where I will open it)

As for atlases Netter's is the gold standard. (not sure why it wasn't on your list) Rohen's is good for quizzing yourself before an exam but I personally wouldn't want it as my primary atlas. I have heard some good things about the Thieme atlas (Gilroy) so if you have to go with one of the ones on the list go with that one. (I have a family member that teaches anatomy and she says Thieme is a good atlas) I have never heard of the Moses atlas, had to look it up. Seems to be another picture atlas. Again would not recommend as your primary atlas. (but great to supplement)

In regards to the IM books, sorry can't help you.

I really liked Netter's, but I don't think I've ever spent any considerable time with Rohen's so I can't really compare.

Netter's is unparalleled when it comes choosing an atlas. Yes, Rohen's is good but it's more helpful during dissections. Netter's atlas can literally be used like a textbook (along with BRS/HY anatomy.)

I have the electronic version of Stedman's dictionary. I use it everyday, it's great, especially for when you don't have access to internet and can't look something up on wikipedia. I have another medical dictionary (an actual book) that was given to me as a gift but I've only used it like twice.