Reference Letter Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coramDeo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just have a quick question regarding the reference letter 'package' that you should give your letter writers.
In this thread, it is advised to include your PS in your package for the letter writers.

Is that crucial to have that in there? My personal statement isn't quite ready at the moment, and I'm meeting a letter writer of mine tomorrow.

I'm just wondering how important it is (if it is) to have your PS with your letter writers.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I just have a quick question regarding the reference letter 'package' that you should give your letter writers.
In this thread, it is advised to include your PS in your package for the letter writers.

Is that crucial to have that in there? My personal statement isn't quite ready at the moment,

My PS wasn't ready either when I was going through this last year. I included a DRAFT copy that said DRAFT in a watermark just so that it was clear, but still allowed me to share some of my personal motivations for pursuing this path. It worked out well and some letter writers even offered me feedback on the PS in addition to the letter (more eyes :) )

My PS wasn't ready either when I was going through this last year. I included a DRAFT copy that said DRAFT in a watermark just so that it was clear, but still allowed me to share some of my personal motivations for pursuing this path. It worked out well and some letter writers even offered me feedback on the PS in addition to the letter (more eyes :) )
Thanks for your reply. I've been just brainstorming ideas about my PS for the most part; do you think it's better to write even a very-rough draft to include in the package?

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how well you know them. For one writer, he wanted it to get a better sense of who I was so he wanted my PS. Another wanted a meeting with me. What I tell people is to TELL your evaluator what aspects to focus on... like my coach, i told him to focus on A,B, and C and for a prof. I had her focus on D and D.

It depends on how well you know them. For one writer, he wanted it to get a better sense of who I was so he wanted my PS. Another wanted a meeting with me. What I tell people is to TELL your evaluator what aspects to focus on... like my coach, i told him to focus on A,B, and C and for a prof. I had her focus on D and D.
Thank you for your input! So for example, the letter writer that I'll meet tomorrow is a math professor - so I'd mention that I'd like her to focus on "Thinking and Reasoning Competencies" whereas in my letter from one of the EC's, maybe ask that she focus on some of the things outlined in "Pre-Professional Competencies"? That way I have a good coverage on all aspects from all the letters?

I've been just brainstorming ideas about my PS for the most part; do you think it's better to write even a very-rough draft to include in the package?

Hmmm...my PS was further along than ideas so your situation sounds different. I was cleaning, trimming unnecessary anecdotes, fine tuning word choices to get across key concepts clearly.

But I like the suggestions from @manofgod747 , especially since you'll have a conversation with your math professor, where you could even take the time to share why you're following this path - the professor may appreciate getting a different view of you than what happens in classes and then can better expound on A, B C or D attributes they've seen in you and how it will make you a great candidate.

Thank you for your input! So for example, the letter writer that I'll meet tomorrow is a math professor - so I'd mention that I'd like her to focus on "Thinking and Reasoning Competencies" whereas in my letter from one of the EC's, maybe ask that she focus on some of the things outlined in "Pre-Professional Competencies"? That way I have a good coverage on all aspects from all the letters?
Yes exactly, but also not just necessarily outlined competencies, but rather general aspects you feel they could talk about better than other writers that would support other aspects on your app file. These qualities should paint the most complete picture of yourself like overcoming an adversity, teamwork/leadership skills, willingness to serve others, time management etc.

Adcoms wanna know who you are, your journey, and so on. The letters let others speak on your behalf. They let your reviewer know who the applicant is. Many might disagree, but adcoms have told me that LoR's and your PS are the two most important factors in receiving interviews, the latter being most vital.

Bottom line, strategically guide your writers in a way that will best and most accurately portray yourself. They are painting a picture of you...give them the outline to paint.

Good luck!

I think it depends on who is writing the letter of recommendation. None of my letter writers wanted a personal statement, and most of them just wanted some iteration of a resume and transcript. Heck, 2 of them didn't even want anything.