References.. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clsmi29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to allopathic medical schools this cycle. From the research I've done, I know that most of the schools I'm applying to require at least 3 references, one of which must be from a science professor. That being said, I was considering three professors and my supervisor who oversaw my volunteering in a medically-related field. Two of the three professors are science professors. The other is an international honors professor. I know who I ask is up to my discretion, but I'm getting mixed reviews. Some sources say I should submit more references to show "range," but I'm aiming for reference quality, not quantity. Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

2 sci and 1 non science academic covers most of the school requirements. I'd throw in a work letter or something extra curricular and you'll be fine.

I'm applying to allopathic medical schools this cycle. From the research I've done, I know that most of the schools I'm applying to require at least 3 references, one of which must be from a science professor. That being said, I was considering three professors and my supervisor who oversaw my volunteering in a medically-related field. Two of the three professors are science professors. The other is an international honors professor. I know who I ask is up to my discretion, but I'm getting mixed reviews. Some sources say I should submit more references to show "range," but I'm aiming for reference quality, not quantity. Any advice? Thanks!

you would probably be better served by finding at least one physician who will write you a letter of recommendation. get up the courage to make some phone calls and write some letters to some docs in your area who practice types of medicine you are interested in. 1 from an MD, 1 from a healthcare supervisor who isn't an MD, and one from a non-science academic seems like a balances and appropriate spread.

it's important to get at a least one letter from a physician. this is as much a club as a job and support of other club members signals that you would make a reasonable addition to the club.