Referencing a long-distance relationship in secondary applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daffodil017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I have been together for 6 years. We've done long-distance through the majority of undergraduate. He has a job offer and will be moving to NYC when I start medical school. When I apply to medical schools in the area, is it beneficial or risky to include this information in my secondary applications assuming my other reasons for attending the school are well-justified?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools won't really care unless you're engaged/married, but I doubt it would hurt to mention it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine it would hurt mentioning. Good luck this cycle! Also, love the Balance and Composure avatar!

It won’t hurt you to mention it, but it won’t help you either. All medical schools, but particularly those in NYC, are inundated with applications. In fact, 60% of all applicants do not receive a single acceptance. Good luck!

I can't imagine it would hurt mentioning. Good luck this cycle! Also, love the Balance and Composure avatar!

I’ve had this as my avatar on various accounts for probably about 7 years and you’re the first one to recognize it haha

I’ve had this as my avatar on various accounts for probably about 7 years and you’re the first one to recognize it haha

Great music and great humans! I used to be in a band that toured with them.