Referencing AMCAS primary application in your secondary essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTRN406

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you wrote about an experience extensively in your primary application that is relevant to a secondary question that you are answering, is it ok to point this out?

For example:

"My experiences shadowing (which are detailed in my primary application) have reinforced that I want to be a physician because..."

I'm thinking you could do this in a case where the experience is relevant, but you do not want to go into as much detail again and say everything about it that you already said in your primary application, since you'd run out of secondary real estate without answering the question that was asked in the secondary if you did. This way, the reader knows that if they want to know all the ins and outs of what your shadowing experience entailed, it is available to them in the primary application.

I ask because you cannot assume that the person reading your secondary essay has already read your primary, or that they even will. Or, if they do read your primary, enough time will have elapsed between the reading of the secondary and the reading of the primary that they will not make an immediate connection between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

If you wrote about an experience extensively in your primary application that is relevant to a secondary question that you are answering, is it ok to point this out?

For example:

"My experiences shadowing (which are detailed in my primary application) have reinforced that I want to be a physician because..."

I'm thinking you could do this in a case where the experience is relevant, but you do not want to go into as much detail again and say everything about it that you already said in your primary application, since you'd run out of secondary real estate without answering the question that was asked in the secondary if you did. This way, the reader knows that if they want to know all the ins and outs of what your shadowing experience entailed, it is available to them in the primary application.

I ask because you cannot assume that the person reading your secondary essay has already read your primary, or that they even will. Or, if they do read your primary, enough time will have elapsed between the reading of the secondary and the reading of the primary that they will not make an immediate connection between the two.
All essays should stand on their own, for some reasons that you accurately pointed out in your final paragraph. Every adcomm isn't necessarily given access to all parts of your application.