Referral Theme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenesma

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

a recent post on finding a good pain doctor in Arkansas brought this to mind.

it would be great to have a list by state and region of reliable physicians that are guideline-oriented and ETHICAL (this is a big struggle for me because i have a fair amount of snow-bird patients and they come back from florida with horrible stories of being screwed over and over by various pain doctors)...

any suggestions on how to do this? and if we do this, maybe it could become a sticky?

i would recommend that the names of physicians be based on personal recommendation and not just because they are a member of ASIPP, ISIS, PASSOR etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Who decides who the ethical and reliable docs are? Will there be a sliding scale? ;)

can you elaborate on how a patient got "screwed"? As for your question, spineuniverse.com has lots of info.....some docs are on there too. Im in florida/miami so id be happy to help. Just send me some legible notes.

T

Members don't see this ad :)
definition of being screwed: serial trigger point injections into the area of pain every other day for 3 months straight - and telling the patient that medicare doesn't cover this newly developed "technique" and charging the patient $100 cash for each injection... is one of many examples

pmr: you are right - there is no real sliding scale --- maybe adding a foot-note of information on that person like

Fred Thompson, MD
- ISIS instructor, does TONS of pumps and implants - Anesthesia background, trained at Cleveland Clinic Foundation - refuses to prescribe any meds

OR

John McCain, MD
- Family Practice, specializes in Diabetic Neuropathy with multiple investigational FDA studies underway

I am not saying that it will be a perfect system but it will be a useful resource for those of us who routinely have patients come and go... especially when they live in areas without larger teaching hospitals with big/respected pain programs.

doctodd - thanks for the Miami heads-up -

I think we can agree that all of us here are fine upstanding citizens. As usual, it's the doctors who aren't present that we all have problems with. :D

According to my mini-poll there are no good pain doctors in Arkansas.

AMPAPHB has to chime in and tell us what lawsuit we would be up against for defamation of character in a public forum such as this by listing unethical pain docs.

IT pump for FMS: how many have I seen- too many.

SCS/PNS combo: 2 EONs, 6 quads, 1 octrode, 3 y-connectors, and a lap pad storage bin for 18 months. Wasn't me, but I took out all that crap when I met the patient. The pain went away when the extra sponge was removed. I do not know what her pain pattern was before the SCS.

You can see that by adding names to these things the trouble that could ensue.

i didn't want unethical docs to be published just the ones that we have established good relationships with.

AMPAPHB has to chime in and tell us what lawsuit we would be up against for defamation of character in a public forum such as this by listing unethical pain docs.

IT pump for FMS: how many have I seen- too many.

SCS/PNS combo: 2 EONs, 6 quads, 1 octrode, 3 y-connectors, and a lap pad storage bin for 18 months. Wasn't me, but I took out all that crap when I met the patient. The pain went away when the extra sponge was removed. I do not know what her pain pattern was before the SCS.

You can see that by adding names to these things the trouble that could ensue.

What kind of incision during SCS implant allows one to inadvertently leave a lap sponge in the wound?

What kind of incision during SCS implant allows one to inadvertently leave a lap sponge in the wound?

There was an EON above each buttock and I believe they made a larger than necessary pocket to coil up all the extra wire from the 4 quads + Y connectors into the pockets. The 4x4 was lying over the sacrum and seemed to have been walled off by the body similar to the capsule that forms around pumps or the EON itself. I found it by looking why I could not easily remove all of the leads for a complete explant.

Again, I met the patient at the time of explant.

A 4x4, not a lap. That is easier to understand, although not forgive.

Where was Mr. Sponge Count during the implant, I wonder?