Referral to Endodontists

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by mmasurf, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE

Thanks to QbankDMD
  1. mmasurf

mmasurf 7+ Year Member

i have a question regarding RCT perforations and broken files, when sent to an endodontist what is handled by the GP afterwards. Would there be a fee adjustment to avoid lawsuit headaches any experiences?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hedgy

Hedgy 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    These things happen to all of us at some point. Fee adjustment..I don't charge for what I don't finish. If you want a pissed off patient and possible lawsuit, go ahead and charge them. Charge for a build-up, access restoration, or crown afterwords as you would have billed for that anyway. Just MHO.

jk5177 likes this.
  4. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree with hedgy. Perforation and file separation are not automatic lawsuits, things happen. However, you ought to let the patient know, document it in the notes, and then refer to endodontist for completion. That's the most ethical and honest way.
    Then, the endodontist, upon completion will bill the patient's insurance or patient, and you charge for build-up, restoration.

Hedgy likes this.

About the ads