Refugee Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SicVic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I having a hugh problem. A couple of schools that I have applied to have rejected me due to the fact that I currently do not hold a permanent residency card. I have been in the U.S for more that 5yrs...just graduated here as well. I have applied for the green a long time ago but the incompentent INS misplaced my files...it boiled down to me applying again this year(but the normal process takes a whole year to get the card!!!!)
As a refugee status, I have indefinite stay and work authorization. I am able to get federal loans and stuff. But What can I do to convince these medicals schools to aleast consider my application (which would include getting an interview).
I need serious help here guys...THe INS are unresponsive and I do not want to stay at home for a whole year and go through this process of primary app.. and the rest of the headache. :mad:
your are the last hope here .....What to do? or What can be done? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

There's probably some other reason why medical schools aren't looking at your application... unless they don't understand what "refugee status" means. Maybe you should send a letter to all the medical schools explaining what "refugee status" is and how the INS lost your greencard application papers, etc... it might help.
Good Luck :)

you have a point! First of all, most admissions offices are inexperienced with immigration..so they make a black and white senario without wanting to look at the fine line. It is hard for me to convince them that as a medical student I will be able to get loans but they do not want to hear that...all they focused on is the Green card. I hoping to gather more favorable points to throw at them!
ugh so frustrating

Members don't see this ad :)
Which "Refugee Status" have you claimed? Have you legally claimed political asylum?

No I am under the refugee status...not an asylee status both a independentely separate.

Sorry then. I work with some people on political asylum status and thought I could help you out, but I wouldn't know much about your particular status.

Anyway, good luck & sorry I couldn't be of more help.

you could consider writing your local congressman or even senator...surprisingly, someone reads letters you send them (i actually got a response from my senator, regarding a different matter entirely, but nonetheless) and they might be able to help you...

just a thought.

I thought about that..hmm it is worth the try. How long did it take for you to get a response?

I'm guessing that considering the current state of postal mail and the government...e-mail would be strongly advised.