1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Refugee Status

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SicVic, Nov 6, 2001.

1. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I having a hugh problem. A couple of schools that I have applied to have rejected me due to the fact that I currently do not hold a permanent residency card. I have been in the U.S for more that 5yrs...just graduated here as well. I have applied for the green a long time ago but the incompentent INS misplaced my files...it boiled down to me applying again this year(but the normal process takes a whole year to get the card!!!!)
    As a refugee status, I have indefinite stay and work authorization. I am able to get federal loans and stuff. But What can I do to convince these medicals schools to aleast consider my application (which would include getting an interview).
    I need serious help here guys...THe INS are unresponsive and I do not want to stay at home for a whole year and go through this process of primary app.. and the rest of the headache. :mad:
    your are the last hope here .....What to do? or What can be done? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There's probably some other reason why medical schools aren't looking at your application... unless they don't understand what "refugee status" means. Maybe you should send a letter to all the medical schools explaining what "refugee status" is and how the INS lost your greencard application papers, etc... it might help.
    Good Luck :)

4. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you have a point! First of all, most admissions offices are inexperienced with immigration..so they make a black and white senario without wanting to look at the fine line. It is hard for me to convince them that as a medical student I will be able to get loans but they do not want to hear that...all they focused on is the Green card. I hoping to gather more favorable points to throw at them!
    ugh so frustrating

5. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Which "Refugee Status" have you claimed? Have you legally claimed political asylum?

6. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No I am under the refugee status...not an asylee status both a independentely separate.

7. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sorry then. I work with some people on political asylum status and thought I could help you out, but I wouldn't know much about your particular status.

Anyway, good luck & sorry I couldn't be of more help.

8. riopsedm

riopsedm Member
    7+ Year Member

you could consider writing your local congressman or even senator...surprisingly, someone reads letters you send them (i actually got a response from my senator, regarding a different matter entirely, but nonetheless) and they might be able to help you...

just a thought.

9. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought about that..hmm it is worth the try. How long did it take for you to get a response?

10. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm guessing that considering the current state of postal mail and the government...e-mail would be strongly advised.