Refund of deposit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what time is it appropriate to ask for your acceptance deposit after you have notified the school that you will no longer be coming? A month? I'm broke as heck and need ma $$

Members don't see this ad.

Phenomenal question. Please, some wise soul guide us on this one.

Similarly, is it at all appropriate to include "My deposit may be mailed to the following address" in your withdrawal letter?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

mma

I've withdrawn from two schools and did so as soon as i decided i really wouldn't go there. i am holding acceptances -- and therefore a few hundred bucks in the hole -- only at schools i really wanna go to. (before you all yell at me for holding onto multiple acceptances, i am waiting for financial aid info!!).

i would say that you should write as soon as you're sure you don't want to go to a school. the schools won't think you're an a$$, they'll think you're being nice and looking out for unaccepted candidates. i like the 'send my money to this address' line. they know they have your money and will send it back. but i bet they'll be super slow about it. and probably blame amcas as they have done about all their other snafus.

Members don't see this ad :)
alice hold onto those acceptances - you earned them and your reasoning is perfectly valid! mma good wording! I like that - I did not think to write that in my letters to the schools. But alas, it is out of my hands now. I didn't even know that schools cash them - of course it's an excellent opportunity to do a little investing with it I guess.

Yeah, don't worry about holding the acceptances until the last minute. If it's less than optimal for admissions, they would've changed their policies. I wouldn't put "My deposit may be mailed to the following address" unless you have a new address.

harumphf thats not fair. Apparently, I just got a letter in the mail at home that asks me to fill ot why I declined. There was no check in the envelope.

That sucks E'01. What are you gonna do? I would just call and ask when you could expect it?

One school actually cashed my check after about 2 months. I am so broke I was hoping they wouldn't cash it.

Thank you Nikki for reaching out and offering your empathy - I too am broke and need my money :( Well I'll mail them the form tomorow, and if I don't receive my money in 2 weeks, I'll give them a call.