regarding admissions to suny optometry school

sumie

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am an undergrad student currently taking prerequisite courses to apply into optometry school and due to unfortunate circumstances I had to retake a course because I recieved an F the first time around. I recieved a C the second time I took the course. Now with that said, i am very discouraged to apply into suny or any optometry school because I think I blew my chances of getting into an optometry program. My grades for my other courses are pretty decent but I must say i also have a few Ws on my transcript due to the fact that I had a a lot of personal problems throughout my course of studies. I just want to know is it possible for me to still recieve admissions into an opto program :confused: My gpa at the moment right now is about a 3.65. I would really appreciate any sort of feedback. :(

AresTheGodOfWar

10+ Year Member
    Apr 24, 2008
    1. Pre-Optometry
      I am an undergrad student currently taking prerequisite courses to apply into optometry school and due to unfortunate circumstances I had to retake a course because I recieved an F the first time around. I recieved a C the second time I took the course. Now with that said, i am very discouraged to apply into suny or any optometry school because I think I blew my chances of getting into an optometry program. My grades for my other courses are pretty decent but I must say i also have a few Ws on my transcript due to the fact that I had a a lot of personal problems throughout my course of studies. I just want to know is it possible for me to still recieve admissions into an opto program :confused: My gpa at the moment right now is about a 3.65. I would really appreciate any sort of feedback. :(

I am currently applying to optometry school and in the same boat as you. I have 3 W's on my transcript and I have a 3.62GPA and 360AA and 380TS. I have been put on hold at Nova and SCO. They don't say that the W's are the reason but I wonder if it still is part of the reason. Just work hard and try to get in. There's really nothing else we can do. Best of luck to you and everyone else in the admission process :)

Eye

10+ Year Member
      Aug 22, 2008
      Western Canada
      1. Pre-Optometry
        SUNY allows a few Cs, as long as the majority of your transcript isn't filled with them.

As for the Ws, as long as you have a good explanation for them if you get asked in an interview, things should be fine. If you don't, as the 2nd poster said, what can you do about it? It's the past, and it looks like you've made amends with it in your grades. Your GPA is high enough, assuming you took full course loads in most of your terms.

Important things to remember, grades aren't everything. SUNY (and every other school) looks for personality, deep interest in the profession, and extra-curriculars/volunteering to show you're not just an underground academic mole.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.