1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Regarding Hours/Quantity of Volunteering

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Marquis_Phoenix, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Marquis_Phoenix

Marquis_Phoenix Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I get the impression that it seems to matter very little, whether you've thrown in thousands of hours into volunteering at the very top schools. Why? Because those thousands of hours were low-impact activities, and the top schools look for high-impact activities. Reality doesn't judge performance in terms of time taken, but rather outcome.

If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct me. This is just my gut feeling. I just get the sense that, while one should have a few dozen to a hundred hours for the sake of getting a sense of the hospital, unless one's hospital volunteering very unlikely happens to be a high-impact activity, it would be better to invest that time (if you're doing more than your dutiful 3-4 hours a week) in other higher impact extracurriculars (assuming enjoyment is equal).

2. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...