1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Regarding LOI

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by st85, Apr 13, 2004.

1. st85

st85 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am writing an LOI, do you think it is ok to mention that one of the reasons you want to go to that school is cause your fiance is near by? I think it gives a good reason, but I am not sure if that is something that shouldn't be mentioned. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

That is a perfectly legit reason. I know some people may have other opinions, but it does show that you know what you're getting yourself into moving there, and that you'll have social support there.

Oh yeah, a sig. other is one of the very few reasons schools will accept transfers too! So it has to be a valid point for wanting to go somewhere.

4. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I doubt it, because you are saying you want to go there for a reason that has no relevance to the school. Therefore, the school itself isn't a factor in your decision to attend. Leave it out.

5. midwest_turtle

midwest_turtle the patient chicken
    7+ Year Member

mentioning your fiance would show that you have interest in starting a fam. but it might also seem like you only picked the school cuz it was "in the neighborhood." depending on what else you put in there, mentioning your fiance could work. if it was a major factor in your decision, then mention it

6. st85

st85 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Personally, I agree with you, I just wanted to get others thoughts on this.

7. WatchingWaiting

7+ Year Member

It's a very good reason actually. Most non-student members of adcoms are married and realize the importance of being close to your loved one. It is, in fact, a stronger reason that just, "I have fallen in love with your school based on my eight hours of visit time and your website" which is what 95% of LOIs boil down to. Most schools realize the true value of such a statement and weight it accordingly. Not that it will hurt to write the standard stuff about how much you like their school and want to attend... but a compelling personal reason, like my family or my spouse, who will give me stability and an emotional anchor through the stress of med school, is in the neighborhood is a very good reason for having a strong interest in a particular school.

8. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    of course!
    i know the dean at davis said that make a decision on what medical school you want to go to should also include your SO, if you are serious along in the relationship...which you are.
    it shows that you would have support at the school and that you would be happy there since obviously your fiancee would be there as well.
    your happiness will reflect on your attitude towards the school and also on how well you do.

good luck on your LOI.

9. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

INclude the Spouse part, plus other things you like about the school. I think schools will try not to separate a couple whenever possible. I agree with Exmike and JLee

10. missmod

missmod Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think it's definitely valid when it is your fiance or husband/wife becaue you have already made that commitment and they shouldn't look down upon it. It's a totally valid reason to want to be near them for the next 4 years...

BUT... what about if it is a boyfriend/girlfriend? boyfriend for 4 years? 2 years? 1year? 6 months? At what point is it valid and at what point would they think that you are flaky and just following a significant other around. :confused:

11. Vgirl

Vgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree....

does significant other count boyfriends/girlfriends? i am in a serious relationship but he's not my fiancee..... so where do you draw the line?

12. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    It's a good reason, but don't forget to mention the multitude of other reasons why you like the school. I mentioned it in my one letter of intent, and I got into that school. At worst they would be ambivalent to the comment regarding your fiancee.