Regarding LoR's: Does neuroscience count as a science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

igor_raptor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a professor whose lab I am currently in and have taken a class with, and he is a neuroscientist. However, the class is a psych class in our catalog, despite the fact it is a former bio class and has a bio class as a prerequisite.

Is this going to present a problem being one of my science LoR's? Looking at previous posts, it seems to be a yes and a no, at least according to AMCAS. I plan on using his letter regardless, as not only is he someone I deeply respect, but I know for a fact he knows me better than any of my other professors. Can someone clarify for me please?

Members don't see this ad.

Some psych classes can be counted as a bio class since there is a blurring of line or overlap between psychology or neuroscience. You could certainly ask the professor for LOR. Also make sure when you list courses on the application, you select "biological sciences" for psych courses you think belong to the category.

Neuroscience is a science. Psychology is a social science. If the course name is PSY then it would fall under social science. I believe it should be fine. Im going to guess that the course is Developmental psychology or BioPsychology

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuroscience is a science. Psychology is a social science. If the course name is PSY then it would fall under social science. I believe it should be fine. Im going to guess that the course is Developmental psychology or BioPsychology

Its called "Foundations of Physiological Psychology."

It should be fine. The science letter refers to the faculty appointment. Not the course you took. So you should be fine

It should be fine. The science letter refers to the faculty appointment. Not the course you took. So you should be fine

Then I might have a problem. He houses his lab and animal facility in the bio building, but he has his office in the Dept of Psychology.

If he talks about it being a neuroscience course, you can probably "sell it" as a science letter to most schools, regardless of department.

At my undergraduate institution, the psychology department fell under Natural Sciences.

I was neuroscience major so I had tons and tons of NEUR classes on my transcript. The rules are based on the department offering the class. PSYC prefixed classes are generally not counted as a science, but NEUR prefixed classes are counted as a science. My school had a large neuroscience department very separate from the psychology department so it was easy to differentiate the two even though I took a large amount of both the NEUR and PSYC classes.

There is a gray area where smaller schools may not have a neuroscience department and offer neuroscience classes from the psychology department under the PSYC prefix. In that case, I believe you need to mark it as a science and submit a syllabus (if they deem it necessary in review) to prove the course content meets their standards for a science class. I have heard they will usually not need you to submit a syllabus if the content of the course is easily recognizable by the name (e.g. PSYC 4000 Physiological Psychology).

AACOMAS is kind of funny in that it specifically says "Neurology" classes whereas AMCAS specifically says "Neuroscience" classes so I think they have some updating to do. I would, however, generally not recommend trying to mark things like abnormal or cognitive psychology as science classes as those will most likely prompt review, and I don't know what that process is like.

Last edited:
It is definitely marked currently as a PSY class, but it requires BIO prereqs, and has a bio sounding course name. It essentially is a bio class, but I will keep the syllabus on hand if it becomes an issue.