regarding possible rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockaway

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, if we haven't heard ANYTHING from certain schools other than "your file is complete"...do some of these places intend to reject you but just haven't gotten around to it yet?
Also, post interview, if schools state, "you'll hear from us in 6-8 wks.", or "we let you know in approx. ten weeks"....is this usually the case?
thanks...and good luck to all
my theory: the adcoms should increase the med school class sizes and let us ALL IN after all of the crap we've put up with this year

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, then Harvard would have a new class size of 32,678 students.

Not everyone applies to Harvard :rolleyes:
Rock, many schools have rolling admissions and interviews and with the delays and mixups this year many places did not begin full swing interviews until late october early november.. If your nubers wern't up to snuff you will usually be rejected b/f your secondary or right after they cash your check :eek: As far as post interview, all the schools if interviewd at have gotten back to me within the time frame. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks DaniC....I appreciate the non-sarcastic reply, it was very helpful

Actually, here's my take on this. Unlike what DaniC said, most schools will not reject you before the secondary or right after they cash your check. In last year's cycle, I got rejected by all the schools but, other than Northwestern which screens pre-secondary, I didn't get my first rejection until February or so. In fact, I received vast majority of my rejections in March and April. Remember, most schools send secondaries to everyone that applies.

I have a feeling that many schools (esp the 2nd-tier private ones) will not reject you as soon as they've filled out all their interview slots. For example, I suspect (unfortunately) that places like Jefferson have already filled up interview slots till April and that most applicants who haven't heard from them by now will end up getting rejected. But Jefferson probably won't reject you officially until March or April. That is because an unexpected number of scheduled interviewees may cancel, or because they find out in March that they're falling short of their target class size. So, they keep fringe applicants around for those reasons.

Mind you, this is all my speculation. For my sake, I hope I'm wrong about this and that these schools have plenty of interview spots left. But this is what I suspect, based on what I went through last year and what I gather from the posts on this Web site.

My comment about Harvard was not sarcastic, it was contributing to your joke about adcoms increasing their class sizes to let in everybody. Didn't mean to come across that way.

Last year, I received most of my rejections late March to mid-April. I'm pretty sure I wasn't in some "let's keep this person around to see how many spots we'll still have at then end" pile.

thanks katiep and otter, much appreciated, I just had no idea how this process plays itself out, good luck to you guys

man..i'm glad it's not just me in this boat...

i hate this "application on hold business".....it's just such an amorphous, wishy-washy state of being......

i truly do hope that this means that I'm worth taking a look at if slots open up this spring. but if i'm not in some "let's consider him later" pile, then just hand me my damn rejection and let me focus on other schools...

sorry if this seems sorta angry...i just need to vent....i'm so sick of running to the mailbox and checking email 25 times a day, only to discover that i'm "on hold"...

AAAAARGGHHH!!