Regarding University of Florida's admission process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiko

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anybody know whether UF accepts older students (above 27) to their PharmD program? My friend doing pharmacy at UF told me that UF accepts mostly younger students and NOVA accepts older students( more matured). Is this true? Is there anyone here who is older and has got accepted to UF's pharmacy program? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I think that is true. I'm an undergrad at UF and one of my friend's DAD got in to Nova.. As far as UF's COP is concerned, I think they like younger students because they want pharmacists to stay in Florida, whereas older students would likely have more options open to them to go elsewhere. I have a lot of friends after two years of undergrad that got in.. they also like to see that you can handle the core sciences (bio, chem, organic, physics) in a shorter period of time than to have it spread out. Plus, (I'm shameful to admit) we're gators, meaning they tend to admit only their own breeds. Likewise for our dental and medical programs too. (I have a sister that went to UMiami and graduated with a biology degree, did research, shadowed a dentist, and STILL didn't get in). But if you have really good numbers you should have a chance. I have a 3.2 and 87 Pcat, and still waiting for a reply as well.

Hope this helps!

This is not true at all!! Most of Nova students don't even have a BS, and a lot of them just turned 21 this year...

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. My class in Orlando has a pretty mixed bag, some are more mature and some are younger. There were only a few (maybe 2 or 3) who weren't 21 our first year. I think this is mostly due to the fact that many of my classmates had a bachelor's. The class underneath me seems to have younger students, this seems that same for the 1PD class so maybe it's a trend. I would say the average entering age at our campus (for my class) is mid-late 20s. In Gainesville it's going to be much much different. Many of my classmates chose Orlando first choice because they were married or had families. You don't see as much of that in Gainesville.

Thanks for all your reply. I think I have a better chance at NOVA than UF. I'll have to wait and see. Thanx again.

This is not true at all!! Most of Nova students don't even have a BS, and a lot of them just turned 21 this year...

Well excuse if I'm wrong, but I've talked to many friends who got into Nova who told me that they prefer it if you have a bachelor's. I have a friend who applied his third year and didn't get in then, then he applied after graduation with a zoology degree and finally got in then. Trust me, Nova is a lot more liberal than UF is when it comes to age and experience.

Does anybody know whether UF accepts older students (above 27) to their PharmD program?

I'm 39 and was accepted to UF's PharmD program for Fall 2007. In addition, there are two women in my Physics II class who were accepted to UF's PharmD program for Fall 2007 who are older than me! In my opinion, UF does not discriminate based on age from what I can see. :)

I agree, i have a friend this year who got in and is in his 40's and know several friends who out in last year one mid 20's and others early 40's so i wouldn't say UF is all young kid. as for me i'm young 22 so guess im one of those twenty year old kids.

UF COP 2011

hmm... i turned 20 just before 3 months..i have been accepted to NOVA n UF.. so i don't think age matters that much if u have good stats...
may be a little.. if they would have to choose btw 2 students w/ similar stats, they might accept younger student over the other.. i m just guessing on this, so don't quote me...
All i am saying is, if you have good stats u shuldnt be worried abt ur age!!:cool:

OK, I'm out of state and I applied pretty near the application deadline. But I've got really good stats. (98 PCAT, 3.6 gpa, bachelors in 3 yrs)
But, I haven't heard anything at all from UF COP. I called once and was told to stop calling. It's getting really late in the day, so to speak, so should I try to contact someone again or what?
I think there's one more interview in Gainesville on the 20th of May but I don't know how long I should wait to hear something.
Any advice?

OK, I'm out of state and I applied pretty near the application deadline. But I've got really good stats. (98 PCAT, 3.6 gpa, bachelors in 3 yrs)
But, I haven't heard anything at all from UF COP.

Your stats are great, however, it's your out-of-state status that probably decreases your chances for UF. Being a public, state school, UF must accept qualifying in-state applicants before considering out-of-state applicants. In other words, residents of Florida who may have lower stats than yours will be considered first, as long as they are considered competitive candidates. They do accept some out-of-state applicants, but very few. In 2005, 291 entering PharmD students were in-state, and only 7 were out-of-state.

http://www.aacp.org/Docs/MainNavigation/InstitutionalData/6863_Tab8PSAR.pdf

I graduate from UF in 10 days and I turned 50 last December. I'm not the oldest person in my entering class, either. There were several of us in our 40's and even more in their 30's. It takes a lot of maturity to handle the stress and pace of pharmacy school. People who have already been in the workforce and have families know how to deal with stress. Being older is actually a positive.

I graduate from UF in 10 days and I turned 50 last December. I'm not the oldest person in my entering class, either. There were several of us in our 40's and even more in their 30's. It takes a lot of maturity to handle the stress and pace of pharmacy school. People who have already been in the workforce and have families know how to deal with stress. Being older is actually a positive.

I'm so freakin jealous. ;) Congrats!