Regarding US Clinical Electives as an Easter European student. Can't seem to find any solution.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrenergic91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 5th year (out of 6) Eastern European medical student, and I'm aiming to do my residency in the States. Having successfully passed Step 1, I'm looking to get some clinical experience in the US to continue on my journey.

Unfortunately, it seems that due to the vast differences in curriculum between my school and US schools, I am not eligible to apply for pretty much any elective at a university-affiliated hospital. This is mostly, but not solely, due to the fact that we don't have "core rotations" and Internal Medicine isn't a thing here (we rotate through all of its sub-specialties individually, spread across our 3 clinical years).

Moreover, I've considered paid clerkship sites. But having done a bit of reading, I noticed that most people view paid clerkship companies in a negative light, citing that they don't really provide you with hand-on clinical experience. And, of course, the glaring conflict of interest in paying for a "rotation" in exchange for a LoR wouldn't be ignored by a Program Director reviewing my application.

Even if I could land a residency without any USCE, I would be ashamed of myself to show up Day 1 and not have the slightest idea how anything works.

Are the any other options besides the ones I've mentioned? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Nevermind, apparently my school's Dean is unable/unwilling to write a letter stating that I'll be in my final year of study after summer exams, so I'm automatically disqualified from rotations. Welp...so much for that.