1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Regenerative Medicine as a Specialty

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Dr Klyph, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Dr Klyph

Medical Student
    I'm currently interested in a myriad of medical specialties, pathology in particular, however, what really fascinates me is Regenerative Medicine. However it's not actually a specialty is it? I was wondering if any of you has any input as to which current medical specialty leans the most towards regenerative medicine. As you can tell I'm a bit more into academics and research than the clinical side of things. Opinions anyone?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    No it's not a specialty.

4. Dr Klyph

Medical Student
    Yeah, I pretty much knew that, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks. Regardless, I'm still very much interested in the field. Any idea of some specific specialties probably combined with a fellowship that may lead to my interests in regenerative medicine?

5. OncoCaP

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    What aspect of regnerative medicine are you most interested in? Are you interested in simply growing the tissues or surgically implanting them?

When it comes to growing the tissues, I get the impression this falls more into biomedical engineering. Your medical specialty choice might depend on the kind of tissue you want to grow. For example, an interest in growing nerve tissue might be related to an interest in neurosurgery, neurology, or even pathology (I met a pathologist who studies Alzheimers and would like to develop treatments to restore brain tissue).

6. Dr. McDreamy

Dr. McDreamy resident hottie
    2+ Year Member

so if you specialize in regenerative medicine, does that mean you can regrow people's arms and legs? that would be pretty cool....:rolleyes:

7. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Only if you happen to treat mostly amphibians.

But I guess that would make you a vet.

8. OncoCaP

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy with just a little more well-placed & functional nerve tissue, beta cells, or cartilage.