Regenerative Medicine Residency/Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anencephaly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been interested in regenerative medicine for some time now and I believe it will be increasingly integral part of medicine in the near future. Is there a fellowship path that one can take to become specialized in regenerative medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been interested in regenerative medicine for some time now and I believe it will be increasingly integral part of medicine in the near future. Is there a fellowship path that one can take to become specialized in regenerative medicine?

No.

Currently regenerative medicine is such a small aspect of medicine it doesnt merit its own specialty or even fellowship. If/When it does become a big deal, it will likely be controlled by the already existing specialties, e.g. cardiology with cardiac regenerative medicine, though fellowships in said specialties will arise as necessary.

Sounds like something outta Star Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
Why in the heck would you pick that as a user name? That wiki page always freaked me out.

As for regenerative medicine, it is the future. Like others have said, I think orthopods will work on growing knee autografts and CT surgeons will work on heart autografts, etc. Pick your favorite system and and start writing research grants.

You can do regenerative medicine research in just about any field of medicine...so find what you like that fits you the best. Doing any sort of regen med project during med school is great too, and nice because you can apply the same principles of biology to a variety of diseases across many different specialties....meaning your research will be valued no matter what you choose to apply for residency.

If you're interested in more of a research career than a clinical focused career, you might want to consider Pathology. Very flexible residency when it comes to integrating research into your time (considering you don't really see patients).

Last edited: