Regents Scholarships/NYS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBERRI

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the New York regents scholarships-is it possible to get one and still do a residency in a non-primary care field like EM. I am interested in peds and/or EM. and i'd like to stay in the metro area. There is a section of non-primary care hospitals in shortage areas in the city, but I am not sure one could do a non-primary care service in those hospitals. Any info would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the Regents scholarships are open to most students of the health professions, but NOT medical students. I've looked into this a couple of times and each time I forget that they're not offered to med students. I'm always sorely disappointed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-primary care" hospitals.

There are programs that offer you free money because you go into a primary care specialty, such as internal medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, family practice, and sometimes OB.

If you're interested in Peds and EM, you can actually do both. Do a Peds residency then an EM fellowship -- but realize that the fellowship will be in "pediatric emergency medicine."

Good luck.

------------------
Tim Wu.

I am quite sure they are available to medical and dental students from New York State. The exact name of the scholarship is Regents Healthcare scholarships in medicine and dentistry. There is a selection criteria though: 1. you must be a NYS resident,minority student and/or economically disadvantaged. Or any graduate of a state funded opportunity program,like SEEK or HEOP. The language is a little confusing in that you must serve in a primary care shortage area in NYS but it also says that you could serve in non-primary care hospital or shortage areas. I just found out that you could serve in a non-primary care field, but it must be in a designated shortage area of NYS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that you mention it, it sounds like something I've heard of.

Anyway let's summarize what you have to do if you were to take the Regents Scholarship:

1) Primary Care in a medically-underserved community in NYS.
2) Non-primary care in a medically-underserved community in NYS.

This doesn't make too much sense to me, but in any event, it wouldn't do wonders for your academic career if you're interested in doing that.

If you can find me a link that has a few more details, I'll get back to you with more information.

------------------
Tim Wu.

I followed the link, but couldn't find a list of the sites that are designated physician-shortage areas in NYS.

In any event, I guess you can do whatever specialty you want but you jsut have to do your residency in a medically-underserved area. If you're looking for an academic career, there is only really one university program in a medically-underserved area in all of New York State and, strangely enough, it's where I go to med school (www.downstate.edu).

Good luck. So go to med school and then apply for residency at SUNY Downstate. Some programs are particularly choosy, but a lot of them (e.g., Peds, IM, etc.) are supposedly really easy to match for any US grad.

------------------
Tim Wu.

Thanks, I'm really interested in emergency medicine. There's a free symposium for EM residencies today at the NY Academy of Medicine. So I'll find out more info there. Should be interesting. Alot of people tell me I shouldn't worry too much about residencies right now but I'm just one of those types that research everything to death
smile.gif
Good Luck to you too and Thanks again for replying.

What year are you? MS1? MS2? Premed going this Fall?

Good for you that you're researching the heck out of everything. I still do that!
smile.gif

The NYAM EM symposium is pretty popular. Be sure to check out SUNY's program. It's supposedly very competitive.

------------------
Tim Wu.

I graduated from college in 1998 and I will be starting med school in august. I heard the same thing about the program at Kings County.
Are there any electives through that program, do you know if they take any 4th year students or provide any electives before that, that a MS1 or MS2 could take.

Where are you going for med school?

Yes, the EM Department here takes non-DMC MS4s for electives. There's an elective for MS1s and 2s, but I believe it's restricted to DMC med students. Check with the Registrar -- www.downstate.edu

------------------
Tim Wu.

It's between Cornell or Mt. Sinai. I still haven't really decided but I'm leaning towards Cornell. The symposium was good and I got alot of info about maybe shadowing some Residents in different programs here in NYC. during my preclinical years. Thanks for the website. I actually met a couple of people from Downstate, students and residents,- they all seemed happy and the program looks really good. Now I just have to be above average and make honors most of my 3rd and 4th year
eek.gif