Regime Change and Constructive Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogFaceMedic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With a new Administration, DOD oversight of COL Powers in the Army will be minimal for how constructive service and prior service credit are granted. All of the political appointees (Casscells) will be replaced and the new ones will not be in place for months.

The Army is not granting reserve commissioned time, despite what the law and regulations say. By contrast, the Navy has been very good at granting credit. A friend just made Lt Cmdr with combined prior service active duty and active status (USNR) time.

So, for those who are trying to get credit, the stonewalling by J.Jones will continue unless there is pressure. THe best pressure in my experience for bureaucrats is from the IG office and Congress. Congress can force out a COL and a bureaucrat immediately.

If anyone needs help, PM me. I like to fight city hall.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any experience with the Army board of correction for records? If attempts to handle the situation at the lowest level are not successful wouldn't this be the proper procedure?

Do you have any experience with the Army board of correction for records? If attempts to handle the situation at the lowest level are not successful wouldn't this be the proper procedure?

In theory, yes. Practically, however, for graduate CSC the Corrections Board defers to the proponency office for granting credit. In the case of medical branches that goes back to the same guy whose has been denying credit at the beginning of the process. It is a closed loop.

Members don't see this ad :)
In theory, yes. Practically, however, for graduate CSC the Corrections Board defers to the proponency office for granting credit. In the case of medical branches that goes back to the same guy whose has been denying credit at the beginning of the process. It is a closed loop.

The board of correction is supposed to look at the input from the service member and other party in the dispute, weigh the facts and make an independent decision. Are you familiar with cases were the board deferred their decision like you said?

That is the way the corrections board is suppposed to work. I don't know of any specific cases, but I have also been told by people at my hospital that the appeal to the corrections board will simply end up on the desk of the person who denied it in the first place. I've already sent in my packet to the Army corrections board but I am also considering concurrently sending a letter to my senator/congressman. I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of going through both channels simultaneously vs. waiting to get denied again and then going through congress.

That is the way the corrections board is suppposed to work. I don't know of any specific cases, but I have also been told by people at my hospital that the appeal to the corrections board will simply end up on the desk of the person who denied it in the first place. I've already sent in my packet to the Army corrections board but I am also considering concurrently sending a letter to my senator/congressman. I'm trying to weigh the pros/cons of going through both channels simultaneously vs. waiting to get denied again and then going through congress.

I've been on a GO staff when a congressional inquiry comes in. I enjoyed seeing arrogant bureaucrats quake. They reacted

Another thing about the Army corrections board is when I sent in my packet, I received a reply that said it could take up to 12 months to receive a decision. I'm not sure I want to wait that long to simply be denied again by the same person.

You can search the Army board of correction records here:
http://boards.law.af.mil/cgi-bin/advsearch.cgi?board=ARMYBCMR

This is a very useful website for all services. It is easy to find legal and regulatory precedence for graduate work and prior service credit based on Board deliberations and findings. The Board proceedings provides useful ammunition for those trying to fight the sluggishness of the bureaucracy.

The only troubling part of the process is that if a perosn waits too long to have date of rank adjusted, it is another fight to get back pay, which they may not be able to achieve. Even if they do get back pay, waiting several years for it is still without interest or inflation adjustment. It is a like an interest free loan from you to the gov't.