Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Now New ACGME Sub-Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's funny how these sub-specialties keep getting created at the same time that the financial justification for another year of fellowship gets weaker and weaker.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
one of their better ideas. no matter what the real reason for.

What a joke. I remember when the only subspecialty certification was critical care. It's an academic game and money grab for the ABA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I must agree that it seems ridiculous. A person should be able to acquire these skills during residency.

i spent 2 weeks during my fellowship on this service. wake up early and go around the hospital with US putting in catheters, also help with PCA for ACUTE pain. for those that like procedures and instant gratification, regional anesthesia/acute pain can be fun.

i do think there is a role for this kind of fellowship. primarily because anesthesia does not want to deal with acute pain on the floor if they are in the OR. its impossible to put in an epidural or bolus a catheter etc while you are in the OR. this fellowship would probably not focus on chronic pain

i do think there is a role for this kind of fellowship. primarily because anesthesia does not want to deal with acute pain on the floor if they are in the OR. its impossible to put in an epidural or bolus a catheter etc while you are in the OR. this fellowship would probably not focus on chronic pain

so its for a hospital to just have somebody on hand to work the floors? like an anesthesia hospitalist? sounds horrific

Reactions: 1 user
It is the new way in medicine: hospital employed scut monkeys, running from room to room, placing non-reimbursed epidural catheters, intrapleural catheters, and plexus catheters while trying in vain to reduce those pesky VAS scores, and to promote the peace and goodwill the hospital lives and dies by in their Press Gainey surveys.

There is good evidence - no, not level 1, but good nevertheless - that regional anesthesia reduces SSI, opioid requirements, improves postop respiratory functioning and leads to earlier discharge so....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile