Regional bias of pacific northwest schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JB50

I'm really in I swear
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I may be adding some more schools to my list and im wondering how regionally biased the pacific northwest schools are. They are:

PNWU-COM:
WesternU/COMP

Members don't see this ad.

Well PNWU straight-up tells you if you looked for it...

• Matriculants from our 5-state catchment area - 67%
    • Alaska - 3%
    • Idaho - 7%
    • Montana - 5%
    • Oregon - 5%
    • Washington - 47%

Reactions: 1 user
One thing to consider with PNWU COM is that when it comes time for clerkships they give priority to people with ties to the area of the clerkships. So if you don't have ties to the PNW like family, grew up there, etc, you will have lower priority in the clerkship assignment to a certain area. This could affect your ability to get non-rural clerkships.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My daughter is thinking to applying there and we are from CA. My sister lives in Seattle WA. Will that consider family ties? More chances of getting in?

One thing to consider with PNWU COM is that when it comes time for clerkships they give priority to people with ties to the area of the clerkships. So if you don't have ties to the PNW like family, grew up there, etc, you will have lower priority in the clerkship assignment to a certain area. This could affect your ability to get non-rural clerkships.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is really good to know. +1 to you! Thanks for your insight.

I've already seen that I was more asking how that compares to the typical school. But thanks anyway lol.

What is "the typical school" to you? Most have some sort of mission unless they're private then they just take from wherever.

FYI, med schools don't give a rat's ass about family ties. They care if you want to live and practice medicine there, not if your sister lives there.

Growing up in an area, or going to college there....that's a tie!
My daughter is thinking to applying there and we are from CA. My sister lives in Seattle WA. Will that consider family ties? More chances of getting in?