JB50

I'm really in I swear
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2016
Status
Rehab Sci Student
Hey guys,

I may be adding some more schools to my list and im wondering how regionally biased the pacific northwest schools are. They are:

PNWU-COM:
WesternU/COMP

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Well PNWU straight-up tells you if you looked for it...

• Matriculants from our 5-state catchment area - 67%
    • Alaska - 3%
    • Idaho - 7%
    • Montana - 5%
    • Oregon - 5%
    • Washington - 47%

Reactions: AlteredScale

Palmyra

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
One thing to consider with PNWU COM is that when it comes time for clerkships they give priority to people with ties to the area of the clerkships. So if you don't have ties to the PNW like family, grew up there, etc, you will have lower priority in the clerkship assignment to a certain area. This could affect your ability to get non-rural clerkships.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB50

dial1010usa

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
Golden State
Status
Medical Student
My daughter is thinking to applying there and we are from CA. My sister lives in Seattle WA. Will that consider family ties? More chances of getting in?

OP
JB50

JB50

I'm really in I swear
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2016
Status
Rehab Sci Student
OP
JB50

JB50

I'm really in I swear
2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2016
Status
Rehab Sci Student
One thing to consider with PNWU COM is that when it comes time for clerkships they give priority to people with ties to the area of the clerkships. So if you don't have ties to the PNW like family, grew up there, etc, you will have lower priority in the clerkship assignment to a certain area. This could affect your ability to get non-rural clerkships.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
This is really good to know. +1 to you! Thanks for your insight.

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I've already seen that I was more asking how that compares to the typical school. But thanks anyway lol.
What is "the typical school" to you? Most have some sort of mission unless they're private then they just take from wherever.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
FYI, med schools don't give a rat's ass about family ties. They care if you want to live and practice medicine there, not if your sister lives there.

Growing up in an area, or going to college there....that's a tie!
My daughter is thinking to applying there and we are from CA. My sister lives in Seattle WA. Will that consider family ties? More chances of getting in?