Regional boards, GPR, and specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some states allow you to bypass the regional board exams if you complete a GPR, I think NY is one of them. What if you want to go on to a specialty after completing a GPR? What if your specialty program is in a different state than your GPR? Do you then have to take the regional board exams?

Members don't see this ad.

dc-10 said:
Some states allow you to bypass the regional board exams if you complete a GPR, I think NY is one of them. What if you want to go on to a specialty after completing a GPR? What if your specialty program is in a different state than your GPR? Do you then have to take the regional board exams?

Usually you get temporary licensure in the state you are specializing in but only within the confines of the hospital/school. You would not be able to moonlight outside of the program in those cases unless the work took place at the program.

Some states grant you a license when you complete a residency w/out having to take their board exam. NY is one of those I believe.