Regional Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phaedrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I do a regional interview here in Utah, or should I spend the money and fly out to Duke?
Do applicants who do regional interviews have a disadvantage in the process? (i.e. Billy and Bob have the same numbers and e.c.s and stuff, but Billy did a regional interview--will they admit Bob instead?)
I know you learn more about the school, get a "feel" for it, etc. etc. by going there--and if accepted I would definitely go before I enrolled--but the costs of flying everywhere to interview are becoming prohibitive. Should I just take it like a man?
Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I had originally planned to be in Uganda during the time I would be interviewing, and had planned to have a regional interview there. I know this is different from the States, but listen. I know a woman on the Admissions committee for UM Med and when I asked her if there is a significant difference between regional and at-school interviews, she said yes. She told me that the school trusts the opinion of its own faculty (who do the interviewing at the school) more than the opinion of its regional interviewers, and also prefers the candidates to physically see the school. She said they are more inclined to take students who interviewed there and that students who interview regionally are sort of considered "B" students (not GPA-wise), whether here or abroad. So I would say scrape together what money you can and get your butt to Duke if you really want to go there - borrow if you have to! It's worth it in the end, so I'm told :)

v

I think a good airline to fly from Salt Lake to RDU might be America West. They have pretty decent fares to/from RDU, just from observation. I think Southwest costs more for this route, surprisingly enough.

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you think it depends on who interviews you. If the school sends out the Dean of Admissions, etc. to do the interviews they go straight back and report face to face to the committee. If you didn't have a good chance to get in through a regional interview then why would they even offer them? I suppose that it isn't just to please the "B" students with an interview invite. Plus, if you're given a choice then they aren't distinguishing you between other applicants, they are trying to convenience you. I am sure that during your interview they will strongly encourage you to visit the school.

I did a regional interview for SLU in Seattle last year. They just assigned me to it (guess they figured I wouldn't want to fly from Alaska. Little did they know I gladly flew to the east coast 4 times, the mid-west once, and the west coast one more time in addition to the Seattle trip! :eek: ). They sent a senior faculty person to interview me, it was a great interview, and I got in. I would have flown out later to check out the school had I not been admitted to a school I liked better.

I read somewhere on the duke site (I think frequently asked questions site) that people who do regional interviews actually have a slightly higher acceptance rate

Check out this thread for more opinions on Duke regional interviews.

Thanks you guys!