Regional ties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlamDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on the state you're talking about. If Texas, then yes.

Impossible to say without knowing the state. There is no blanket policy covering all public med schools - this will vary greatly.

You will still compete as an OOS applicant with lower chances (you will never be thought of as "instate" for either admissions or tuition purposes).

I really doubt that this sort of thing is very helpful at the majority of OOS public med schools that do not otherwise admit many OOS applicants.

Your best bet, since you are talking about a specific state, is to direct your questions to the public med schools in that state. You may be able to glean something from their website, but if you really want the skinny, ask a direct question of the med school admissions office...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I live in Texas. :D But used to live in NY.

I'll be sure to ask around.

I lifted this off another thread. Maybe it will help:

I agree that Texas is a great state for med school, but there's a problem with this scenario: even if the OP moves TODAY, TX won't consider him a resident for educational purposes if he applies in the summer of '09. And if you matriculate there as OOS, you're OOS for the whole four years, even if you never set foot outside the state.

After this topic came up a couple of months ago, I looked up the official residency rules on the TMSDAS website, and found that TX won't count you as a resident for educational purposes unless you move there a year before you APPLY (as opposed to matriculate). Not only that, you can't take any classes during that time. The only ways to speed up this process are: 1. marry a TX resident, or 2. buy real estate in TX, both of which result in immediate residency, but could be problematic for the OP.

FL is another option, but again, I think their residency rules are pretty strict (but I don't know the details--it would be wise to get them from an official source). In OH, where I've applied to one school (I'm an NY resident), you have to work for a year or prove that none of your financial support is coming from outside OH.

NY is very liberal with the residency rules: if you come as an OOS student in year 1, you're a resident in year 2. But it doesn't get you much admissions-wise, because NY shows only modest (as opposed to enormous) preference toward state residents in SUNY admissions. Not only that, most of the med schools in NY (8 out of 12) are private, and they really could care less where you're from. Basically, the state sucks from a med school admissions standpoint. You'd be much better off moving to NJ, where residency rules are pretty liberal and there are 2 state schools which slavishly favor NJ residents.

So if the OP is willing to postpone applying for a year in order to get residency in an attractive state, I'd advise TX or FL. Otherwise, I think NJ would be your best option.

:laugh:
just by reading your question I assumed u were talking abt Texas and NY...lol...and wallah,,,you were....I am freaken proud of myself!!:laugh:;)
Cali res wont say great med schools, and chicago has got only 1-2 public. and the rest ...well we all know..

I agree w/ everyone else!