register for Osteo match in order to scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AR1776

Flying through
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know FOR SURE if you have to register for the osteo match (even if you don't rank anything) in order to participate in the scramble? I'm planning on getting an allopathic residency but would like to reserve my right to scramble in the DO match.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know FOR SURE if you have to register for the osteo match (even if you don't rank anything) in order to participate in the scramble? I'm planning on getting an allopathic residency but would like to reserve my right to scramble in the DO match.

although I dont know "for sure" i assume you should at least have all your stuff on eras to send programs during scramble. But im pretty sure registering to put your rank order list isnt necessary if you arent going to submit one....

I'll apologize ahead of time for my answer, but it is a direct product of the hopefully-soon-to-be-fixed-or-made-better DO residency application process.

I think you gotta register for the match in order to have access to the lists of hospitals with filled and open positions so you can know where you can scramble.

You plan on getting an allopathic residency? The MD match is a month after the DO match. I will warn you that many spots at "better" places and more competetive specialties will fill up quick within a week of the DO match. So by the time you (God forbid) find out you didn't match MD, lots of the spots are taken, BUT NOT ALL!! There may not be linked DO positions left for you to take, but maybe there will be a good handful of traditional rotating internship spots you could interview at/choose from. But I will add that I'm not discounting the fact that you may indeed match at an allo residency. I hope your board scores are good.

In other news, currently you only can apply for INTERNSHIP (linked, tracking, or TRI) on ERAS. HENCE, if you are going to do TRI, and you have to reapply for a year2 spot, you do not do so thru ERAS at this time. You pick up the phone and call the program directors and tell them you are interested, etc.

Rumor has it next year advanced spots (year 2, 3, 4, etc) will be available to be applied for on ERAS. So they are, indeed trying to get with the program.

The funny thing is is that over the next several weeks we will be in the time frame in which there will be lots of reassuring handshakes assuring a match at a program essentially voiding the need for a match at all.

I wish everyone the best of luck and lots of wisdom in their decision-making processes.

;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to be registered for the AOA Match, through the National Matching Service (NMS), in order to do the AOA Scramble. You don't have to rank any AOA programs on ERAS to do the AOA scramble, but you have to be at least registered. As the post before this stated though, by the time you would be AOA scrambling after the ACGME Match, most of the available QUALITY positions will be filled. I am sure you could still find yourself a pretty crappy AOA program needing to fill its slots.

Rumor has it next year advanced spots (year 2, 3, 4, etc) will be available to be applied for on ERAS. So they are, indeed trying to get with the program.

Wow, this is very big news for those that plan on going into DO programs that don't have linked internships, such as derm and ophtho. Any idea when the decision will be made, and how we can keep an eye on it?

So I e-mailed the osteo match website ([email protected])and here's their reply:

You do not have to register with the Match in order to participate in
the post-match "scramble". You will have to contact the AOA once the
results have been released and request information regarding positions
available. If you are not registered for the Match, you will not
automatically receive that information from the Match. You will have to
get it from the AOA.

So that should solve this, huh?
By the way, I have heard from people on the student board of osteo EM assoc that the good DO EM programs that have spots to fill hold out to chose from both scramble victims of BOTH the DO and MD match that way they get to chose the best of both.

bump is this still true?? in case I need to osteo scramble I don't need to register for AOA match

The aoa residency spots available after the Acgme match will be so bad that it's probably not even worth it, unless you're going to do a TRI.​

The aoa residency spots available after the Acgme match will be so bad that it's probably not even worth it, unless you're going to do a TRI.​

Yea exactly in case I need a TRI do I need to register for AOA match?

Hey guys...wanted to know something: I would like to do a TRI, however I have heard that it is a diff internship to land because some competitive residencies require them before starting PGY2. My comlex 1 score is basically pass and my comlex 2 score was below 600, so nothing impressive here. I don't have research as a med student. I don't thing that I will match bc of these stats. my question therefore is: Knowing that I won't match, what should I do? Should I apply for internal medicine (and if so do I have to change my personal statement towards IM?), or is it pointless, since no one will call me for an interview at this point of the game? Is my only option now to SOAP? What should I do now in preparation for not matching so I don't waste a year of my life? Thanks so much guys for your input, I'm kinda desperate here :cryi::scared:

I don't think most TRI's are hard to land, unless you are trying to go to one at a hospital where there is a derm spot or some other specialty that requires the TRI first, don't freak out.

on a related note, does anyone know if you can register for the NRMP but not rank anyone and get involved in their SOAP scramble?