Registration - How fast do seats fill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrayArea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am planning on taking the exam Jan 28th.

However, I have received a great opportunity to assist in some clinical trials and do some research. It is not a huge time commitment, so I am hoping that it does interfere with my study plans to test Jan. However, if it does, I have the option to test March. So, my question is...

If I sign up for the Jan 28th MCAT as I have planned, and notice by the beginning of December that I am not adequately prepared, do you believe March seats would be filled in major cities?

Or would it be safer to book the March seat right away?

I am applying this coming cycle so March is the latest I want to test in order for me to apply the first day apps open. I do not mind paying the 85 dollars to reschedule if needed.

And since I am posting on this matter already, I have one more question. Is it typically a good idea to test on a date that would allow you to re-test before the application if you are not happy with the score? Or is it advantageous to be thoroughly prepared the first time and only have one score for apps? This is another one of my concerns.

Thanks fam!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, just realized I did not post in MCAT thread! But hope to still get some input here!

You absolutely only want to take this exam once.

Multiple scores is not looked on favorably. It certainly is fine to make sure you would be able to re-test or re-schedule say if you went in intending to score and voided, however I suspect that you'd be able to sit April/May and it wouldn't delay your app significantly.

Ultimately, take it when you are 100% ready :) Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I took it May 20 and was fine. I agree that you really really really only want to take the MCAT once. I know some med schools I've talked to don't frown upon repeats as much as SDN would have you believe, assuming there's a sizable score increase. However (I can't quote the statistics) but I don't think there's a huge increase for students who take it a second time just a few months after their first attempt.

Reactions: 1 users