Regrets about doing a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pickles0709

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those residents out there, does anyone regret doing a pharmacy residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes i regret to do a residency. Most of new pharmd grads get hired as the same position as staffing data-entry pharmacist as residency grad. I also have to move to another city since there are no clinical openings around my area. And the pay is next to nothing.

yes i regret to do a residency. Most of new pharmd grads get hired as the same position as staffing data-entry pharmacist as residency grad. I also have to move to another city since there are no clinical openings around my area. And the pay is next to nothing.

huh

I'm glad I'm done with it, but I don't regret it.

How are the job availabilities for those who completed a residency and looking for clinical positions (particularly ambulatory care)? I'm still debating whether or not I should apply for a residency because my friend told me his friend finished her residency this past summer and she has yet to find a job. I'm afraid there would be a shortage of job positions for clinical pharmacists...

How are the job availabilities for those who completed a residency and looking for clinical positions (particularly ambulatory care)? I'm still debating whether or not I should apply for a residency because my friend told me his friend finished her residency this past summer and she has yet to find a job. I'm afraid there would be a shortage of job positions for clinical pharmacists...

The way I see it... A residency-trained pharmacist is eligible/qualified for jobs that don't require residency training; the reverse is not always true. There is still a good amount of overlap between PharmDs and PharmDs w/residency training, but these roles are becoming increasingly defined and divided.

Is your friend's friend geographically limited? Has s/he considered a faculty position? Did s/he do 1 or 2 years of residency? Just because one residency-trained pharmacist didn't land their dream job s/p residency doesn't mean you won't/can't land yours. Interview for jobs and residency programs and see what you think. Ask direct questions and make educated decisions. Above all, do what will make you happy and open the right doors for you in the long run.

No regrets, I just might be crazy enough to do a second year