....regrets to inform .....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packersfans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone willing to share the number of rejections they have received so far? I applied to ALOT of schools, so currently I am at 25 rejections which almost all seem to include the phrase (regrets to inform...). Is there a particular day when I'm going to get a whole bunch more in one shot? At this point I'm just sort of laughing at myself for having wasted so much time and effort on so many schools:rofl:. I'm thinking could have been much more strategic with the same result.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone willing to share the number of rejections they have received so far? I applied to ALOT of schools, so currently I am at 25 rejections which almost all seem to include the phrase (regrets to inform...). Is there a particular day when I'm going to get a whole bunch more in one shot? At this point I'm just sort of laughing at myself for having wasted so much time and effort on so many schools:rofl:. I'm thinking could have been much more strategic with the same result.

Some schools silent reject. If you haven't heard from them yet, then fuhggettaaabouttit.

I applied to 45 schools. I lost track of rejections a long time ago. I had 7 or 8 II's, so I guess the rest are all rejections lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
31 applications, 25 rejections, 4 interviews (2 rejections, 1 waitlist, 1 acceptance), 1 to go. LizzyM~71 so not a bad applicant, this year's cycle just seems f---ked

Edit: 1 pre-II hold too

Some schools silent reject. If you haven't heard from them yet, then fuhggettaaabouttit.

I applied to 45 schools. I lost track of rejections a long time ago. I had 7 or 8 II's, so I guess the rest are all rejections lol.

Holy crap! The number of secondaries....

Reactions: 3 users
I applied to like 11 schools for some reason. I'm an average applicant at best. Fortunately, I got accepted to 1 school and am on 2 waitlists.

Reactions: 1 user
42 schools, 38 rejections

42 schools, 38 rejections

yikes thats intense! I hope you have an acceptance hiding in there!

I applied to 26 schools, got outright rejected by 11, withdrew before hearing anything from 6, and interviewed at 9 (5 accepts, 4 waitlists).

Congrats on 5 accepts and 4 waitlists. That's impressive.

Shout out to all of you like me, with a tons of apps, a ton of rejections but an acceptance or two.

Applied to 20 schools. Been rejected by 11

Applied to 24, rejected pre II by 15, got 8 IIs of which I went to 6. Of the 6, I got into 3, WL by 2, and rejected by 1. Still have not heard anything at all from one pre-II.

Check my MDapps for more info.

Near the end of March I sent letters to the last few schools I hadn't heard back from to withdraw. Didn't wanna give them the satisfaction of rejecting me!

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Near the end of March I sent letters to the last few schools I hadn't heard back from to withdraw. Didn't wanna give them the satisfaction of rejecting me!

Haha I like that. Should have done that with the two I was waiting to hear back from.

I have officially become blasé about rejections. Hope this newly formed callous sticks with me--I think it's actually become a strength.

Dear Applicant:

The Committee on Admissions and I regret to inform you that we will not be able to act favorably on your application for admission to our next entering class.

This letter most emphatically does not mean that the Committee regards you as unsuited to the practice of medicine or even that it feels you could not meet the demands of our curriculum. It is the result primarily of having thousands of well qualified applicants and only 165 places in our next entering class.

I hope that you have gained admission to another medical school. The Committee joins me in wishing you well in your future medical career.

this thread reminded me of this email in which i don't even have a name. then they send me an email telling me to send them money anyway by getting a degree in nutrition there

Reactions: 6 users
this thread reminded me of this email in which i don't even have a name. then they send me an email telling me to send them money anyway by getting a degree in nutrition there

Ahhh Columbia.

In this game, one needs a thick skin. I always recommend to think about worst-case scenarios.

Reactions: 1 users
yikes thats intense! I hope you have an acceptance hiding in there!

Congrats on 5 accepts and 4 waitlists. That's impressive.

Shout out to all of you like me, with a tons of apps, a ton of rejections but an acceptance or two.

thankfully yes! 1 acceptance and 3 waitlist

Applied to 8 schools; 5 rejects, 1 acceptance

17 schools, 13 rejects, 2 still on hold (soon to be rejects LOL), 1 waitlist, 1 acceptance.

Reactions: 5 users
I just find it so weird when schools mail you rejection letters. Like, the whole process is electronic but they scrounged up the resources to waste paper and send me a letter I threw immediately into the trash.

But anyway, I got my first and only acceptance in December, before any rejections came, so they really bounced right off of me.

Reactions: 12 users
I had somewhere around 60 rejections over the course of 3 cycles before I got my acceptance. If you really want it and are willing to bust your a** to get there, you'll make it.

Reactions: 23 users
Well reading through this thread has been comforting:eek:, especially because this will be my first cycle applying...:oops::confused::blackeye:

dang I can't imagine applying to more than the ~25 that I did... I dropped some schools simply bc I was sick of secondaries

Reactions: 6 users
So you guys who applied to like 20+ and 40+ schools, were your interviews all from the same type of place? Like, were they all your safety or least difficult schools to get into?

Or did you just randomly get into one of your top choices? I'm thinking of applying to ten, like the literally ten best chances (lowest MCAT, etc.) and seeing what happens to save money. Wonder where your acceptances/interviews were in in terms of your long list.

18 schools: 12 rejections, 6 II--->4 WL, 1 Acceptance and 1 interview next week !

EDIT: 4 WL and 2 Acceptances!

Last edited:
So you guys who applied to like 20+ and 40+ schools, were your interviews all from the same type of place? Like, were they all your safety or least difficult schools to get into?

Or did you just randomly get into one of your top choices? I'm thinking of applying to ten, like the literally ten best chances (lowest MCAT, etc.) and seeing what happens to save money. Wonder where you acceptances were in in terms of your long list.
hmm you never really know--I was surprised by a school that did offer me an interview and very surprised when a few that I assumed I'd get didn't--applying early and broadly really is the safest move

What does broadly me? Like regionally broadly? I don't plan to apply stat broadly. I simply don't have the MCAT for a lot of schools so I shouldn't even try.

Where did you guys get the money for all these apps? Although I still wonder more about your interview/acceptances and where they were in terms of your list.

EditL Sorry to go off topic, but people with a lot of rejections might have some wisdom that can save us chumps some money!

Last edited:
What does broadly me? Like regionally broadly? I don't plan to apply stat broadly. I simply don't have the MCAT for a lot of schools so I shouldn't even try.

Where did you guys get the money for all these apps? Although I still wonder more about your interview/acceptances and where they were in terms of your list.

Apply broadly = stat-wise

I was rejected by most of my "safety schools" that I was 90th percentile or higher for stats... That's why everybody always says there are no true safety schools. You just never know.

Most of my II's were from schools right around my LizzyM score (~75).

EDIT: 19 apps, 9 II's, only attended 4 (2 accepts, 1 outright reject and one deferred decision to reject). Was lucky to get accepted to my #1 in November.

Last edited:
applied to 37, 13 II, went to 5 (2 acceptances, 2 waitlists, 1 rejection), 24 rejections (I guess, I never heard back from 10)

EditL Sorry to go off topic, but people with a lot of rejections might have some wisdom that can save us chumps some money!

my IIs were from top, middle, and bottom lol

So throwing money at it does work . . . Looks like I'll be getting two jobs and attempting to stay with someone rent free. I wanna try the money approach lol.

So throwing money at it does work . . . Looks like I'll be getting two jobs and attempting to stay with someone rent free. I wanna try the money approach lol.

i qualified for FAP so it wasn't as expensive as it would've been. Otherwise i wouldn't have applied to that many schools.

I don't qualify, but I wanna try this. Damn parents making 300% above poverty but not having anything left over lol.

My cycle breakdown for those interested:

First cycle: 29Q MCAT, 3.21 cGPA, 3.2ish sGPA. Applied to 15 schools, 2 DO iis, 2 straight up rejections. I was very stupid with how I applied and grossly misinformed by my advisor. Looking back I was lucky to get the interviews, but could have gotten in somewhere if I had been smarter/planned better.

Second cycle: Took a cycle off to focus on SMP grades then applied. Same stats. 35 applications (20 MD, 15 DO), 0 iis. The major reason for this was because even though I had around a 3.9 in my SMP first semester I had to take medical withdrawal in the second semester and finish up in the fall while I was applying. I contacted about 20 schools after they rejected me to ask what I needed to do to actually be competitive. Most said the biggest issue was the medical withdrawal, and about 7 or 8 said they would have given me an interview if they didn't think there was a chance I wouldn't finish med school due to health. I was told to finish the SMP and just reapply next cycle.

Third cycle: MCAT 29Q (expired), 28, 29. Best combined total was 32. Same undergrad GPA with a 3.77 graduate GPA. Applied to ~30 schools (20 MD, 10 DO). 3iis (2 DO, 1 MD). Got rejected from about 10 schools that cycle before I got my first ii, then I got 2 more iis. Went to my first interview (DO), absolutely loved the school, and thought I bombed the interview. I really hated myself for about 3 days until I realized I had 2 more interviews. Got a letter in the mail assuming it was a rejection and almost cried when I read 'congratulations'. Turns out our school sends acceptance letters instead of packets. I withdrew my app from the 2 other schools I had interviews at and everywhere else except 2 DO schools and 4 or 5 MD schools that I was interested in. Didn't get interviews at any of them (actually never heard back from most of them) but am very happy to have ended up at one of my top choice schools.

^That persistence though... respect sir/madam

Thank you it was (and continues to be) quite the journey.

Or did you just randomly get into one of your top choices? I'm thinking of applying to ten, like the literally ten best chances (lowest MCAT, etc.) and seeing what happens to save money. Wonder where your acceptances/interviews were in in terms of your long list.

My stats were all over the place. For my MD ii it was a bit of a reach for my MCAT and undergrad GPA (basically every MD school was) even though it was a 'mid to low-tier school'. For DO my undergrad GPA was below average and my MCAT was above average, so I'd say stat-wise I was pretty average (these were at solid DO schools). I should also add that I had strong ECs, which I'm sure helped me out for DO but not as much for MD.

Apply broadly = stat-wise

I was rejected by most of my "safety schools" that I was 90th percentile or higher for stats... That's why everybody always says there are no true safety schools. You just never know.

Also, I think I've said this before, but I'd recommend 12-15 schools minimum for anyone. ^^^This happens far too often for anyone other than superstars (40+ MCAT, 3.9+ GPA with solid ECs) to feel comfortable applying to less schools than that...

Reactions: 4 users
The best bet for saving money is applying realistically (i.e. limit your "reach" schools).

I consider myself super lucky this cycle seriously I played it so poorly.

Complete late in the cycle (like late november), applied to like 15 schools but missed deadline for 2 and didn't fill secondaries for another 3-4 for various reasons...

3 ii, 3 accepts

Didn't realize how badly I had played it till I came here halfway thru the cycle and was like o.o

Applied to 43 I think - secondaries were horrendous, ya? I got 6 interviews, all the rest were rejections or I'm still on a pre-II hold so at this point they've been moved to the rejection folder. Maybe like two I didn't submit the secondaries. Rejected by one post interview (well actually rejected by the same school twice - thanks duke, I hate you), accepted at 3, waiting on 2

Edit: stats were meh, EC were good, applied broadly/threw money at the problem/now broke but happy/going extra broke to travel

I had 14 rejections out of 27 schools. I still have 2 more schools to hear from, and I'm guessing those are going to be silent rejections.

20 applications, 19 secondaries, 16 rejections, 3 interview invites, 1 waitlist, 1 deferred decision, 1 acceptance.

That said, I met a handful of people on the interview trail who seemed to be riding a magic carpet into medical school. They were all decent applicants, but, as far as I could tell, none were stellar. What's their secret sauce?

10 schools
8 rejections
1 waitlist
1 acceptance

I didn't feel any rejection letter was nicely worded :-/

Well I'm from NYS so right off the bat I applied to almost all of the schools in my state, and then a few more privates schools with similar stats. Every II I got came from schools in my state though, so I guess applying to those other private schools just wasn't worth it in the end--but you never know, for some people it is! And my parents helped front the money for my applications since I'm applying my senior year, and I'm literally broke and in debt, but I am going to pay back my parents for everything once I have an income of course. I know I'm very privileged for this reason....

I couldn't place any sort of trend on the schools i got interviewed or accepted at. Kind of all over the place. I will say that the places where I had no business applying stat-wise (but chose to apply because it was local), I definitely got no love. So I'd say the MSAR is your friend, and an honest friend at that.

lol the money approach.

If you have enough money (time and persistance) to properly apply to many schools I say 'why not'. There is a school of thought that cutting yourself short on applications to save $1000-3000 in app fees now, is offset by an additional year of attending salary latter (in the event you go into a second app cycle). Its your money and only you can decide that.

I got an II at one of my "safety" schools, but I withdrew from most of them in October after getting my first acceptance at a school I felt I would be happy at. I was accepted at several mid-tier schools that were kiiiind of a reach for me with a lower MCAT, but a good fit based on ECs/mission. I interviewed at 3 schools that were reaches for me, but was waitlisted at all of those.

It's really unpredictable, so I would say 15-25 schools would be your best bet without wearing yourself out. Get feedback on your school list on SDN or from a trusted advisor before submitting, though.
I had a similar experience to you. Lower MCAT but managed to interview at schools across all three tiers because of fit with the programs. I think mission/fit plays a bigger role than people think.
16 apps, 5 II, two acceptances, one waitlist, two rejects. Three of the II were at schools with MCAT averages at least four points above mine and I was rejected at just about all my "safety" schools. I believe "fit" with the program played a large role.

lol the money approach.

If you have enough money (time and persistance) to properly apply to many schools I say 'why not'. There is a school of thought that cutting yourself short on applications to save $1000-3000 in app fees now, is offset by an additional year of attending salary latter (in the event you go into a second app cycle). Its your money and only you can decide that.

You also reeeeaaaaallly don't want to spend another 3k next year, with lower chances as a reapplicant. Best to apply to an extra 10 schools and have a higher chance (if you're 32/3.7 or whatever aka competitive). Who knows, maybe you'll get a 10k /yr scholarship which would more than offset the app fees.

22 apps
11 II
9 interviews attended
8 acceptances
1 waitlist

I feel that I am one of those applicants who "rode the magic carpet and was great, but not stellar." My MCAT was low 30s and my sGPA was >3.9, but I only have limited research experience. I do have a lot of clinical experiences. I only applied MD. I spent a lot of time making sure my secondaries fit the rest of my application, but to be honest, my success was due to very strategic applying at schools where I had a chance and A LOT OF LUCK. I also have a few quirks that make me unique. In hindsight, I could have reached more, but I am very very happy where I am! I absolutely poured over the mission statements of each school, and I got accepted to the schools I fit at. For example, I come from a Jesuit UG, and I received admission offers from 3/3 Jesuits I applied to. I constantly used the MSAR and only applied to OOS where I had ties or really felt I stood a chance. Future applicants, don't apply to schools just based off your gpa and mcat. Many schools (like the Jesuits) have a special kind of applicant they want. Research them and ask yourself if you would fit there. Remember that every application is EXPENSIVE, so if you apply somewhere where you are a terrible fit for, all you will be doing is wasting money.

Reactions: 4 users