REI- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danqa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just pre-med and I know I'm a looong way off from making this decision, but I'm hyper-obsessed about the future so I'll ask you guys now lol:

I am interested in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. The area piques my interest and it seems more to my liking than general OB/Gyn. My question is about lifestyle. What's the average pay, how often do you work (compared to other doctors)- do you have alot of control over your hours? Also, I really don't like the idea of being on call all the time as an OB... I guess I would have to suffer through 4 years of residency hell, but I think it would be worth it if REI is a more relaxed lifestyle. Is there any chance that I might be totally shut out of REI and have to practice general gynecology?

Thanks,
Danielle

Members don't see this ad.

HI! i have been looking into this also. here is a website: http://www.socrei.org/

if you hunt around you can find infromation on residency programs.
I don't have any infromation on pay but apparently it depnds on your success rate. also many incurance carriers pay minimally if at all for th einfertility procedures. i hear they work 9-5 type hours though but if a patient ovulates oover the weekend and you haev to harvest the egg or inseminate her then someone has to be there.
this has dropped in my list of interest becuase of the 4 year obgyn resdiency first which i am not sure that i want to do ( i'll find out better during 3rd year rotations) and then most programs accpet 1 fellowship applicant a year so the odds seem low to me and the i'd be stuck in obgyn. however in talking to someone in rei at my school, if you show a passion for it and do research,etc. getting a fellowship shoudl be no problem. so my main barrier is the 4 year obgyn residency.