Reimbursement issues in Oncology...

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by bigfrank, Apr 5, 2002.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Hi,

I have recently seen several members pose questions related to the supposed "massive decrease in reimbursement for outpatient chemotherapy."

Can anyone comment on the changes, explain what they are, and further comment on HOW drastically the Oncologist's salary will change or suffer as a result?

Or is this just people blowing smoke? I honestly haven't heard one thing about this.

Best wishes to all, Frank

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future GI Guy

Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo....

Frank,

I recently spoke with one of our oncologists, and he says the same thing.

At present, many private practice oncologists can make, literally, 400 - 500,000 bucks if they own their own chemotherapy suites. Unfortunatly, this will change in the future, as medicare and medicaid continue to slash compensation.

It will dramatically reduce the amount of money that private practice oncologists make. (academics will probably make about the same, which is significantly less than private practice). But lets be realistic. No physician is going to starve, and one who subspecializes will make more than the average PCP.

I don't know of the numbers, and none of us will until things have settled, but I would say that a private practice oncologist could do pretty well in the future.

4. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Dear Future GI guy,

Thanks for responding. Oh, I think $500K it WAAY too much for an oncologist to make. That seems absurd to me.

I would just hope to make around $200K per year. Which I guess that still seems feasible.

Best wishes, Frank