Reinvention Attempt Good Enough? Please advise!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notadoc71

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for reading this. I really appreciate any and all feedback. I just got my MCAT back today, so I can finally post a WAMC! My theme is that I tried a bit of everything and ended up falling in love with community service, public health and teaching (in addition to medicine obviously). My strengths are my ECs, my weakness is my GPA and everything else is within the bell-curve of fine.

My biggest concern is if my GPA is not offset and I am off the table for many schools. Second concern is my service is mostly going to be from this year, but I can't list the activity since I don't start it until August, so it appears I am deficient in community service, but am going to have 1700+ hours by matriculation. Not sure how to convey that accurately to schools. I have only one state school and it actually appears they do holistic review, so I'm hoping they might take a chance on me. I am happy to be a DO because being a doctor and taking care of sick people is my goal and OMM is cool AF for treating conditions not typically well addressed by anything else.

Thanks again!

STATS:
GPA (3.42/3.24) My GPA suffered due to expectations of my past career choice (3.0 good to go), never taking science before, assault and family issues
DIY Post-bacc: (4.0/4.0) in 50+ credits over two years in science/public health classes
Trend: First 100 credits were like 3.1, Last 100 was like 3.9 (I know its a lot of credits fml)
MCAT: 512 (127/127/128/130)

ECs:
-1500+ Scribing in 5 different specialties including heavy primary care
-500 total research hours from translational to clinical
-180 clinical volunteering in ER and in underserved latino community (I am not latino or URM)
-300 non clinical volunteering, but I am doing AmeriCorps this gap year, so not on my primary, but is 1700+ hour commitment
-800 hours of TAing for two science classes plus fellowship in culturally sensitive teaching
-50 hours of shadowing in FM and surgery
-Service projects: Abroad in latino community and in rural USA, started my own social venture in attempts to alleviate a grand challenge
-Pure ECS: Started own university club, did club sports
-Other: Winning global health case competition, More unique hobby sport, past work experience in business field

LORs and PS:
-All LORs should be fairly strong
-PS I think (hope) was good. One Adcom read it and said it was good and I wrote like I wasn't 22 anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ?
Thanks for the reply. I messaged you which state.I posted probably too much identifying info already, so I decided to keep state more ambiguous. I am applying to schools in my state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your state public schools
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and include MU-COM, CCOM, DMU-COM, ATSU-KCOM, KCU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your state public schools
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
George Washington
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and include MU-COM, CCOM, DMU-COM, ATSU-KCOM, KCU-COM
I really appreciate the time you took to give me a list. What do you think my chances are for MD and DO respectively?

Your chances are excellent for DO. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~50% chance for a MD acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user